Topic

New Hampshire, Maine, VT hiking partner

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips New Hampshire, Maine, VT hiking partner

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

I'm hoping to get out for as many 1 and 2 night weekend hikes as I can through out the winter (or as many as my gear can handle). Anyone interested in exploring? I'm a bit of a backpacking light noob so many of my trips will be gear testing and figuring out what works for me. For a variety of reasons, it would be cool to meet up with someone interested in doing the same. If conditions cooperate, I'd also be looking to get out for some longer trips when I have time off.

Any experience level would be cool with me. And, like I said, many things would be new to me so I would be taking it a bit easy at first getting use to winter camping. I like to move fast and light though and will want to start a peak bagging list so will be moving in that direction.

Edit:

I'll add that I am in MA and NH will probably be my primary destination due to ease of access. Finding some more MA light backpackers would be great for car pooling, etc.

Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

Here is some pictures from this past weekend's overnight in the Pemigewasset Wilderness in the White Mountains. Was a great hike!

Mount Willey
    A look up at Mount Willey 4285'

Pemigewasset
    The Pemigewasset Wilderness at dawn.

ZealandRidge
    Here is Zealand Ridge. I camped about a mile further on the trail down in the notch.

Whitewall Mt
    A very crumbly Whitewall Mt. 3405'

Thoreau Falls
    Thoreau Falls and what I think is Mount Bond in the background 4698'

Sunrise
    Sun rising through the trees with a river crossing ahead. I ended up using the conviently fallen tree you can see to the left.

You Mass. hikers missed a nice trip.

Duncan M
    Spectator

@dmasland

Locale: Sierra

Here's the Pemi from South Twin a week later:

pemi from peak of south twin

I'll spend the most of the winter skiing, but feel free to reach out by PM.

Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

A week later would be next weekend. You packing an ultralight time machine? ;) By this past weekend I meant Dec. 7th and 8th. Were you up there too?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

if you want a challenge some day go up (or down ) the Zeacliff trail (the fall line can be seen in the pic of Zealand ridge) from ethan pond trail up to Zeacliff.. 1500' or something in 1.2mi.

I went down it and i was glad to have a light overnight pack (willy, field, tom, hale, zealand, zeacliff)

Duncan M
    Spectator

@dmasland

Locale: Sierra

ha–you're right. getting confused with dates :)

Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

Bumping this up for the upcoming Fall and Winter season. I'm heading up to the Pemi tomorrow and hoping to do a lot of weekend trips this Fall too. Still would be great to meet some BPL'ers in the area.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I've got a group of friends (~10) and we do a fair amount of hiking in the NH/VT/ME area, a few of us do winter hikes too. We organize by email with each other, PM me and I can introduce you to the group. It tends to be me that "organizes" the trips, but only after we talk about our next trip while at the bar, so having another person organize trips would be a nice change of pace for me =D

Marc Cryer
    Spectator

@18rabbit

Locale: New England/Quebec

I'm on the far edge of the geographical area you guys are talking about but I do get down as far as VT from time to time. I'm new to the East, from CA, and my goal is find time to hike in Quebec near Mont Groulx and in the Lac Monicouagan area. I'm up for all sorts of hiking arrangements from jointly planned trips to meeting mid-way, just starting out together, or sharing rides. I'm planning to take a week off sometime between August 27th and the end of September to hike in ME if anyone is interested in joining me for all or a portion of this hike.

Wolf’s Rain
    BPL Member

@wolfsrain

PM inbound Steven.

Marc, you should set up your PM in your account settings or PM me your email address. I'd be up for your Quebec ideas as well as ME / VT, etc. The laid back arrangements sound cool to me.

Marc Cryer
    Spectator

@18rabbit

I set up my PM e-mail address so feel free to contact me. I try to get out a lot but of course like a lot of people my time and money resources are limited so I end up staying fairly close to home which is in Bangor. I moved here from the CA last year so I'm still getting used to the Maine geography and weather. What strikes me about ME is that nature is everywhere but only in small amounts. I can take innumerable day hikes and even a few over nighters right from my front door but there doesn't seem to be much real wilderness here. Before I left CA I hiked through the E. edge of Imigrant Wilderness and after the first day I didn't see anyone for ten days in Maine I rarely go three hours without running into another hiker. I sort of like the ME version of hiking it's almost sociable but it's certainly nothing like the wilderness west of the Mississippi. That's why I'm interested in parts of Quebec where there seems to be some real depth to the wilderness areas, perhaps too much.

I am willing to meet at a trail head or even mid way through a trip if you'd like. I'll keep you posted on my plans and if you are going to take a trip or are available to just send me a line.

Marc Cryer
    Spectator

@18rabbit

I'm planning to hike somewhere in Maine, probably on or near the AT, between September 10 and 16. I'm happy to have company or meet somewhere along the trail if anyone plans to be hiking in Maine at that time. I'm open as to possible start and stop points although I'm looking at the AT between the NH border and the Bigelow Preserve and the area from the Bigelow preserve to the start of the 100 Mile Wilderness (near Monson, ME) but that's a large chunk or territory. I've walked the 100 Mile Wilderness but I would also be happy to do some of it over again. Maine's Northern woods also offer a lot places to hike which are generally open to the public but a lot of it is dense forest or tree farms or a mix of both and neither are necessarily scenic by my standards.

MTC

Brendan Yeager
    BPL Member

@byeager

Locale: New England

It is great to see some other New Englanders on here! I am located just south of Boston (Canton) but try to get out all over New England. I generally solo but would definitely be game for doing something with some other lightweight backpacking enthusiasts. I am going backpacking out west mid September (18th-22nd) so I am not up for Marc's planned excursion but would be game for something in the future. It could be a wicked good time.

Marc Cryer
    Spectator

@18rabbit

Hope you have a great trip out west. Most of my hiking has been in CA, OR and WA. The Sierras are great as are, the much overlooked, coastal mountains between Ojai and Carmel CA which offer a lot rugged and rarely hiked areas with convenient nearby coastal towns. My favorite western destination is the Pasayten Wilderness in WA. Pasayten is truly a wilderness; I felt lonely there even when there were two of us.

Keep us up to date on you plans and maybe we can arrange a hike together at this end of the nation sometime in the near future. I get out as often as my wife and work will allow.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools