Topic

Looking for a way to sew the last seam on a quilt foot box

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedDec 2, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I am debating wether to buy or make a quilt. One thing that really has me stumped is the main seam.

When finishing a quilt with a zipper. From the sipper to the foot. Is there a way to sew that seam so it looks like it was sewn from the wrong side. In other words is there a way to get the inside seam and the outside seam to look the same.

Roger Caffin suggests this method in this thread http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/MYOG_down_quilt_bag.html#.Up0cK7Uhv4Z

Rodgers Seam Rogers seam

It seems that my other sleeping bags are using another method. Is there a way to make both seams look like the bottom one pictured with a normal home machine?

Thank you.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2013 at 7:04 pm

The way many mfrs use to sew that last seam is to put it along the zipper or along the draw cord sleeve at the neck.

Cheers

PostedDec 2, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Roger,

Thank you for putting together that excellent article. I have learned a lot from it. I hope you don't mind me referencing it. I have been researching and came across the blind ladder Stitch. Do you think this would be a successful method to close up the footbox? I know it's only cosmetic but I would like to accomplish the look if possible.

http://www.positivelysplendid.com/2013/02/sew-a-pillow-closed-by-hand-blind-ladder-stitch.html

Thanks again, you always have great advice.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2013 at 3:30 am

Hi James

Yes, I have used that stitch myself. It goes better on slightly heavier fabrics. With a UL fabric you might go mad running the full length of the seam! With UL fabrics your stitches would have to be rather short you see. And I am not real sure how down-proof the result would be, unless the stitches were quite short.

Give it a try one wet miserable evening!

Cheers

PostedDec 3, 2013 at 5:20 am

Roger,

I have some m50 and pertex here. I think I will make a small pillow and do a little stress test. It looks like a stitch I would like to know.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2013 at 6:53 am

If you're making a decorative pillow, then blind hem is important

If you're making something for backpacking, then you can just make a spiral stitch with the thread (barely) visible. Or just sew with machine 1/16th inch from edge.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...