Topic

Halfmile’s Maps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Halfmile’s Maps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Does anyone know if Halfmile's Maps are updated each season. Would it be a bad idea to have them printed now for a 2014 PCT Thru-hike or should I wait until closer to go time? I was going to ask Halfmile directly but there is no contact info listed. Probably so people like me don't flood the inbox:)

Thanks

Edit: I found a mailto: link on the blog. Will give that a try.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

You should check out PMAGS site if you haven't already.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I did look at this that site year or so ago. It's good to look it over again though. Thank you. Lots of great links too.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I would wait, as I believe they are update at the beginning of each year.

WHAT I'D DO is simply get the FREE "PCTHYOH" app for your smartphone and you can digitally cache the entire trail worth of maps (that is what I did) free and you always have them all with you. You could also you your smartphone with GutHookHikes PCT App and you'd be able to track along via GPS (can also use the free HalfMile App for GPS). Printed maps are great — but for the price it's worth considering the digital free ones and the GPS apps.

I used the above apps on my iPod Touch with a Bad Elf GPS and digitally cached all the maps in PCTHYOH — only wished it had been a smart phone so I could have live posted to my blog and kept updated more often.

My compass was the Silva Forecaster 610 and its gone 5,000 miles with me already — 1/2 ounce and I love it.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Seth, Thank you that App looks great. I am glad you told me about it.

I heard back from Halfmile and it is confirmed that there will be an update in Mid January.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Seth,
    It sounds like you hiked the PCT using digital maps? Did you really go completely paperless?

I'm planning on buying all of Guthook's PCT apps for a PCT thru hike attempt with my wife this coming year (because those apps are awesome and Guthook has been very friendly and helpful when I've contacted him with questions), but I can't decide what to do about a paper backup.

I like to have some sort of paper maps, but I just can't decide on the best system. Any advice?

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I must be old school. Electronics fail and then you'll have no maps. Just send yourself a set of maps at each resupply point. What's that going to weigh….1 oz? It might be just me, but I wouldn't want something that important in my battery powered phone. You can still download it into your phone and use it, but….just in case.

You can print the maps out for free and in color. Double side each sheet. I've done Oregon and Washington over the past two summers and the halfmile maps were fantastic and accurate.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

John,
    It's not just you. I have had electronics fail on me too many times to totally trust them with something as important as basic navigation in the wilderness, even on a well maintained trail like the PCT.

Do you just print out Halfmile's maps on regular 8.5 x 11 inch paper, then fold each map up and take it out individually? I usually just deal with USGS topos and therefore don't have much of a choice on the format, so this is somewhat new territory for me…

And if I'm using Halfmile's paper maps I wonder if it would just behoove me to download the electronic versions of those on my phone instead of using Guthook's apps? Hmmm, decisions, decisions…

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Regarding Halfmile's maps,
    I may be wrong, but buying the printed map may be cheaper than printing out the whole thing yourself.

I don't trust electronic maps myself, but I would still have the maps on my electronic device as backup and for convenience.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools