Topic

Compass recommendation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Compass recommendation?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> to go lighter and cheaper I'm sure you have to give up the mirror, which means giving up accuracy
    What accuracy?
    If you are in limited visibility scrub, compass 'accuracy' is a joke.
    If you are above the tree line, try looking for the peak/col whatever.
    If you are in thick fog … accuracy is still a joke – in practice. Yeah, been there …

My reserve compass is one of those very small oil-filled units without a base plate, about 5/8" diameter. I can navigate quite happily with it.

Sounds like super-sizing to me all over again. But it's your wallet.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Navigation as practiced by most wilderness travelers is fairly crude and based on a combination of simple compass work, and reading maps and topography well. Before you get your knickers in a twist, consider that engineers, foresters and geologists for whom sighting compasses were designed are using the numbers generated for data – not for getting from point A to B. For that, they often lay the mirror out flat and use them (hang on to your hat) like regular ol' base plates. I still think that for the rest of us they're overkill – but what the heck.

Just out of curiosity, can anyone supply a story about actually needing the sighting feature for navigation? For that matter, can anyone pose a scenario for which they are even hypothetically necessary?

As for accuracy, each style has its pitfalls. Standard base-plate compasses are best used at belly-button level and are mostly prone (in my opinion) to errors of carelessness – especially if you're taking bearing after bearing in low visability / heavy brush. To use a sighting compass accurately requires practice and care to avoid parallax errors, which can be significant. Pick your poison.

Phil Stetz
    Spectator

@pstetz

Michael – I have the same version of the Brunton 26DNL-CL in your picture. I was not happy with it. It just felt cheap to me – the dial would move way to easily and I noticed it was hard to get the needle to reliably settle. As a side note, REI no longer sells that version of the Brunton 26DNL-CL. The newer version is about $10 more (as already pointed out). I have not used it so I'm not sure if it really is better quality.

I switched over to the Suunto M-2D Locator and am much happier. The bezel is larger, easier to read and I feel the needle points and settles better. I also like the adjustable declination correction.

I have not missed the sighting mirror at all. The only caveat is I do feel guilty for not having a signaling device in my 10 essentials. So I agree that it may be overkill for my navigation needs, it is definitely useful for an emergency item.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I also have the Suunto M-2D. I think it is a good compass. As Phil noted the adjustable declination is nice.

For a very minimal compass to get you pointed in the right direction the Suunto Clip-On Compass comes in at .2 ounces once you ditch the strap.

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

I use the Suunto MC-2G the mirrored version of the link that Steve mentions and shown in Brett's response.

http://tinyurl.com/27nbro

I also use for quick measuring my Sun Micro compass Mini Comp II which weighs 9g (mine weighs about .2-.3oz):

http://www.suncompany.net/details.php?ID=49

Rich

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Anyone ever use any wrist style compasses, at least for quick course check?
    Suunto M-9 Wrist Compass 1.2 oz
    http://www.rei.com/product/408083

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

EJ, sure, I used a wrist compass for years before I could afford a multi-sensor watch. They are great for a sanity check on your direction; especially when tired and its dark. My favorite is the Cammenga tritium wrist compass.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools