Topic

Fall at Cache Creek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Fall at Cache Creek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

A weekend trip with a couple friends. All of these pictures were taken by Daniel, so the credit goes to him.

uk5m.jpg

o5eu.jpg

4teq.jpg

The creek was very low.

k8nk.jpg

4fcr.jpg

i7wl.jpg

ydt3.jpg

umn1.jpg

Wilson Valley

ou6k.jpg

Rocky Creek

2gzh.jpg

This was our intended campsite, along Rocky Creek. The water sources were mostly dried up with some nasty looking pools, so we decided to follow this creek back to Cache Creek and find a less desirable campsite, but with better water.

8h8m.jpg

Looking for a good campsite along Cache Creek (following a well established game trail)

e1w9.jpg

It got down to 29 degrees that night, so the campfire was very welcome. I ended up cowboy camping next to the fire.

xq0l.jpg

Going down for water the next morning.

7ce4.jpg

Daniel tried out a hammock for the first time. He ended up bailing to the ground in the middle of the night because he was too cold. His poncho liner underquilt wasn't working for him.

sn47.jpg

o30u.jpg

Gravity filter.

fp9w.jpg

Through the oak savannah. Not dressed like a typical backpacker here ;) An old pair of jeans for all the nasty yellow star thistle.

9jde.jpg

4efp.jpg

tp8z.jpg

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for sharing Justin. I've never been there but it looks a lot like Henry Coe.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

It is a lot like Henry Coe, just a more wildernessy. The only people who know about it seem to be local hunters.
    It's just down the road from me so I have been quite a few times.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Great photos, thanks.

I've been day hiking and whitewater rafting there, always had a great time

Lots of wildlife in the spring, including one trip we saw dozens of eagles.

Someday I'll go backpacking at Cache Creek. Thanks for the inspiration.

— Rex

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

The Bald Eagles are out this time of year.
    They let out the water from the clear lake dam in the summer and you can't get across without swimming.
    The best place to camp is up Rocky Creek from Wilson Valley.

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

Justin, one of these days we're gonna cross paths out there. I took some scouts a few weeks ago. One of the pics looks like the bluffs at Baton Flat, so I'm assuming you were on Red Bud Trail. You know the area better than so maybe you could help with a couple things:
    1) Have you ever used Judge Davis Trail into Wilson Valley? If so, is it significantly more difficult?
    2) Noticed lots of scat that I couldn't identify on the trail. Wasn't bear, deer, elk or dog. Lots of seeds in it. I thought raccoons but there was so much and those would be doberman size raccoons, any ideas?

We camped in the extreme southwest corner of the valley, actually caught a squawfish on a fly. Cool spot close to home.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yes we were on the Redbud Trail.
    I have been on the Judge Davis Trail twice. The first time we ended up hilariously lost after pushing our way through an overgrown trail and we were forced to camp in dense chaparral. The second time I went by myself and found the way fine.
    When you park you want to take the trail directly to your right which follows along highway 20 for a few minutes before twisting through some oak grasslands. Eventually after making your way uphill, you will find yourself on a chaparral covered ridge overlooking everything. At this point the trail forks out and you can go left or right. Don't go right, that's the old Judge Davis Trail and it's overgrown. You want to go left and after just a couple minutes take a right onto the trail.
    The Judge Davis Trail is more difficult than the Redbud Trail because it's all downhill going in and all uphill going out. I prefer the Redbud trail but the Judge Davis is nice too. I'm getting tired of the Redbud and will probably take the Judge Davis in next time.
    I don't know my scat well so I'm not sure. I assumed it was bear, if it's not then I would think wild pig maybe?

Rick Adams
    BPL Member

@rickadams100

I totally forgot about wild pigs. That must be it. Thanks

I'll try Judge Davis next time too.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Thanks for sharing, Justin. The area looks wonderful during the fall. I've been down that trail numerous times, but always during spring. I actually thought about going there a couple of weeks back, but ended up in the foothills east of Georgetown on the Rubicon River. Did you see any turkeys out there?

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Yes, I saw a group of turkeys on the way out. Also met two bow hunters who were out for turkey.
    I've been there in early spring/late winter (February) but never in the middle of spring. I imagine the wildflowers must be spectacular.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Yeah, the wildflowers really boom when things are warming up in spring, but it can also be a bit buggy (e.g. ticks, mosquitoes).

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Just like others have said, it looks like Henry Coe and that's where I spend most of my time. Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a lot of fun and saw some great sights. Maybe I'll get down there some day.

Thanks,
    James

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

A few more pictures:

jbai.jpg

5clk.jpg

3oc1.jpg

bxq1.jpg

sw8r.jpg

Deer stand way out there, 6 miles in.
    aa

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools