Topic

Searching for a new pack

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Luke, if you keep using the Porter and find the high roll top annoying, I bet HMG could shorten that for you. As I understand it, the high extension collar is the only difference in volume between the two packs.

I should also mention that the 50D cuben-hybrid stuff softens substantially over time. I don't know about the 150D, but it may become less of an issue after some use. Personally, I was surprised at how soft and pliable my older Porter's fabric has become when comparing it to a new one.

Luke Schmidt BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Clayton. I'll probably give them a call soon and see if they can shorten it. If they can I'll seriously look into that. I love the pack but I don't see how I'd every use that whole extension caller.

Jason Elsworth BPL Member
PostedDec 10, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I don't know if it would help but its easy to take the stay out of the Exped and bend it to fit your back better.

I did this and am overall pleased with the Exped 60.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 12:40 am

Hi Luke, full spectra was around $470 from memory.
I'm keen to hear your thoughts on the porter once you're back to full health.
Is the extension collar the only difference between the two packs? Back length is the same?
I've been looking at day packs in my search for a pack, but they all have waist belts rather than hip belts. I'm assuming the smaller porters belt still sits on the hips.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 7:47 am

The HMG 2400 and up are sized for your torso.
The 2400 and the 3400 have the same circumference, but different heights.
I'd go with a 2400. Remember, you can always add pockets. If you want more support, add the framesheet. Using the 150D, it would be bombproof. I find the 50D with the 150D bottom plenty strong. A little rougher sewn than Zimmerbuilt but good quality.
Really the one shown in a another recent thread looks to be what you may be asking for, minus the mesh of course.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=85121

I find the collar on the 4400 a little annoying. I don't want to hassle with getting it shortened at this point. It's not that annoying.
I found a REI shopping bag fits well inside the pack. I can just pack the bag and pull it in and out of the pack. A stuff bag would work the same, but the open top is nice and makes it easier to organize. I just need a lighter Cuben version.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 2:57 pm

1

ZB2
1 compartment
4 daisy chains
2 stays
black Xpac
2,000 c.i.
35 ounces with stays
HMG Icepack belt

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 4:14 pm

that pack looks fantastic.
Does it have a lumbar pad that the HMG belt slides through?
Also, dual stays as opposed to the rectangle stay that Zimmer and ULA normally use?

Luke Schmidt BPL Member
PostedDec 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I was feeling a bit better so I put a few things in the pack and tried it on. First I like the hipbelt. Its stiffer and does a better job of supporting the pack then any other UL cottage pack I've tried (yes that includes Zimmerbuilt packs). For me personally I thought the Exped Lighting MIGHT fit a tad better around the waist. But that is a highly personal thing, it might be the Porter will fit you better.

I'd second the suggestion to get the Porter 2400. I think its a tad more narrow at the top but not by much. Most of the extra volume of the 3400 seems to be in the collar which is downright huge. It probably takes 10 or 12 rolls at least to close it with the kind of load I normally carry.

With all the daisy straps on the Porter 2400 you could easily strap a few things on back there if you had a huge load.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm

One thing to think about with the 2400 Porter is that HMG uses a thinner foam with the shoulder straps and hipbelt than the 3400. It shouldn't be a problem to have them use the thicker foam, but it's just something to make sure you have taken care of.

One mod I had them do for me is to put the Ice Pack belt on my Porter, which I think provides just a bit better carry than the regular Porter belt. I like having the stiff foam fully wrap my waist.

PostedDec 11, 2013 at 6:31 pm

You're right, it is a rectangular stay. The HMG belt slides through the lumber pad.A piece of Velcro hold it in place. The old HMG belt had adjustment straps, so I had Chris put ladder locks on both sides of the pack. The new belt doesn't have the straps. It also has two ice axe loops if you don't go for the pockets. It is stiffer than the belts I've got from Chris. The daisies have the same spacing as the Porter so the Porter Stuff Pocket will fit. It should be good for 30-35 pounds. I haven't used it. It's a gift.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
Loading...