Topic

Bag Coupling Question

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedDec 1, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hi guys,

have a quick one about coupling two bags together– do bags from different manufacturers usually couple together seamlessly? It should only come down to zipper length, zipper gauge, and zipper side…right?

Full disclosure: I'm trying to pick up a bag for my gf to mate to my wm versalite (left zip), without buying another wm bag. After all, rei outlet has a 30% off sale goin on right now. Looking to grab something like a sub kilo (although it looks like they're sold out in regular) if it would work.

Best,
joe

Ps: thanks to everyone who helped out with fleece hoody suggestions. It really helped me out, and I wanted you to know, without dredging up my old thread.

PostedDec 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I've never successfully coupled unlike bags (and I've tried). The zipper gauges were always slightly off.

I say save yourself the headache and get a double bag like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/828229/the-north-face-dolomite-3s-sleeping-bag-double,-deep-water-blue?preferredSku=8282290001&cm_mmc=cse_PLA-_-pla-_-product-_-8282290001&mr:trackingCode=8F3ED925-D358-E111-BC1B-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=36518279800&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=39033472960&msid=C3Zn0u1q_dc|pcrid|36518279800|&{copy:s_kwcid}

20 degree rating at 3.05lbs per person is not bad at all and the price is right. Either that, or buy two new sleeping bags that together cost less than a WM bag.

PostedDec 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm

so far that's what I've run into as well. I have a cheapish synthetic 15 degree with a right zip that I was sure would work… until I actually tried it.

Jeffs Eleven BPL Member
PostedDec 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Its just a matter of zippers

My 1993 Moonstone PCT 2 GTX and my wife's 2006 Marmot angelfire zipped together as well as two mummies can.

Quilt that shit!

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2013 at 12:14 am

It's true that it's just a matter of zippers. I've had success mating two bags from different manufacturers. They both had #5 YKK zippers (if I recall correctly). I think that many sleeping bag manufacturers source zippers from just a few companies, so I don't think the prospect of finding two bags that mate well together is as unlikely as it first appears to be.

Then again, maybe I've just been lucky. I won't pretend to be a zipper expert.

PostedDec 2, 2013 at 6:38 am

one might sew together two zippers side to side. sort of an adaptor affair. like making cables usb to RS-32 or such.

v.

Matt Dirksen BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

Joe,

I guess the relevant question is "what bag companies will zip with your specific WM bag?"

Before jumping on something non-returnable, perhaps you could bring your bag into a local outfitter and try it out with bags made by different companies. On a personal note; both my old TNF bags never had a problem zipping with my wife's Sierra Designs bag, or a FF semi-rectangular bag (which would obviously appear rather funny zipped to a mummy.) When I worked at REI, (As a general rule), we typically always told customers that only bags by the same manufacturer could mate to eachother. In reality, this is not true, but must be explored on a case by case basis.

I completely understand the desire to get something for your gf which will work for the both of you, but please make sure the bag works for her, first. To some folks: picking a sleeping bag is like picking underwear. It could be considered a rather personal decision.

I also thing that Peter's idea of creating a "mating zipper" is fantastic – just in case the zippers don't ultimately work.

Matt

PostedDec 2, 2013 at 3:53 pm

>I guess the relevant question is "what bag companies will zip with your specific WM bag?"<

I guess, at its core, this is the question, but the idea of sewing a zipper adapter is also brilliant. I have way too many bags as it, so the idea of spending a couple bucks and using what I already have is awesome (and I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself). My girlfriend has been in the bags in question (shes going in the versa because she sleeps cold), so I'm not too worried about her finding them too uncomfortable. Besides, this is super luxury couples backpacking (with me being the mule), and there will be post hike beverages, so I'm sure we'll both sleep very well.

Thanks for all the help guys, and thanks peter for your perfectly simple idea.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedDec 2, 2013 at 6:35 pm

If and only if the two bags have the same zipper type (e.g. #10 YKK), they will zip together. Really, you are trying to mate zipper make&model, not sleeping bag make&model. So dig into the specs where they list the zipper type.

I've advised many people about this (3 years in a BPing store).

1) most women sleep colder than most men. If he has a 35F bag, she might be best suited with a 20F bag. That also gives each of you more flexibility on solo trips to go a little warmer or cooler.

2) R bags zip to L bags. R zips to R. L zips to L. But only R to L avoids anyone getting the "pillow" section over their head all night. I am, however, in favor of marriage equality for humans.

3) Since most people get R bags, there's a greater likelihood of connecting nicely with someone you meet on the trail if you have a L bag. Unless they come from Castro Valley, CA where we gave everyone that advice.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...