Topic

Personal packable porta potty. (PPPP) Pack it out.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Personal packable porta potty. (PPPP) Pack it out.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scree ride

@scree

Ideal for early start day hikes and over nighters. Lighter than a trowel and much less destructive.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Why necessary for early starts etc.? I don't get that part. I can see in very high use areas like the Mt. Whitney area for a WAG bag, maybe other places I don't frequent. How is a trowel destructive? Best to stay home maybe?
    Duane

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

In an area that's loose rock, like in the Sierras or at altitude on Cascades volcanoes, then carrying out Poop would be appropriate.

Everywhere I go there's at least a patch of organic matter – trees, grass, etc., so my Poop and TP are actually beneficial.

scree ride

@scree

How many cat holes can you dig in a given area without calling it destructive?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I agree, heavy use areas is a problem.

I've gone back to same area on successive years and all the TP and Poop have decomposed. That area is okay to use.

I've seen TP and Poop on the surface – that is just rude and has nothing to do with subject of whether you should pack it out.

I've seen areas where there are holes that have settled. Kind of obnoxious. Doesn't seem unhygenic though. Maybe that's a candidate for packing it out. Maybe it's good to have human impact concentrated, more aesthetic than causing flora and fauna to be impacted.

scree ride

@scree

Excuse me, I thought you were talking about something for dogs. This is kind of what I was thinking of. Figured there must be something out there. It's just not heavily advertised.
    Not to argue one means of disposal over the other, here in southern Cal, things don't always decompose as well and on some of the nearby popular trails there is really no excuse for leaving any trace behind. Too many people and too much abuse.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yes, in heavily used areas, ya gotta pack it out. The climbers' route on Mt. Rainier, for example. Otherwise, when the ranger tells me to pack out all my poop and tp during a 5 or 6 day hike in the Sierra, I solemnly nod my head yes. Then I bury my poop and tp appropriately. I agree that if you bury well, it's not an issue–maybe even beneficial. Besides, bear, deer and HORSES poop freely. No restrictions. (I don't quite understand why horses get a free pass but hikers are required carry out their poop…I digress). Anyway, tp seems very biodegradable; poop is poop. But I have seen tp dug up by bears and scattered near a trail or camp area. So responsible technique is important. In some instances I've burned my tp in a campfire ring. This strikes me as the best thing to do.

But I admit to drawing the line at carrying poop on a multi day hike.

Bud Chapman
    BPL Member

@budman5

Locale: Alaska

I've used the biffy bag on raft trips, but the load gets heavy after a few days….8-)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Adult diapers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools