Topic

Fun with WiFi and fire!

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 1:55 pm

So, finally set up my Ruta Locura/Titanium Goat WiFi stove inside my Lone Peak tent. What fun! Setup was pretty easy, the heat output is amazing. I probably should have used some regular sticks and such instead of only Fat Sticks, but I was lazy. It was burning so hot it actually made smoke rings out of the front! I didn’t measure temps before/after burning inside the tent because, well, I’m just not as anal as many of you are. I can tell you it was quite toasty inside the tent, and I never even closed the door.

At only a pound for the stove (a few more ounces for the pipe), this thing is easily packable for winter adventures where big miles aren’t part of the trip. You could even roast marshmallows in it if you wanted to! :-)

Some pics:

.wifi

.wifi

.wifi

.wifi

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 2:48 pm

And I bet you could cook on top of it, too — like an old-time wood stove!

Gary Dunckel BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I think the BPL party next weekend should be a Doug's place. I'll bring the Patagonia beer.

Ross L BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Doug

I have been coveting that exact same setup although I have been quite happy with my TG Vertex 5 and cylinder stove. I was wondering how much more efficient the WiFi stove is over the cylinder stove when it comes to boiling a pot of water (say 20 oz). It takes me close to 25 minutes from start up to full boil under late fall real world conditions. Would you be kind enough to time your boil sometime and let me know?TG Vertex/cylinder stove

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Dang, a very, very nice set up. I think i have gear envy.

Btw, @ this "I didn't measure temps before/after burning inside the tent because, well, I'm just not as anal as many of you are."

I quite literally laughed out loud when i came to this part.

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Hi Doug.
I spotted that one just yesterday looking up something else on the TiGoat site.

Take a look at the assembly video.

I have on and off been trying to think of a stove that is easy to put together (with cold hands…) and at the same time have a flat top.
This looks like a very good solution to me.

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 6:56 pm

"I have on and off been trying to think of a stove that is easy to put together (with cold hands…) and at the same time have a flat top."

Hey Franco,

It is actually quite easy to put together. You could do it with gloves on pretty easily – really a nice design. The assembly video was helpful, but much more helpful was the instructions, since that showed how to do the pipe as well (I was pretty clueless about the pipe!).

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 7:29 pm

This was one attempt I made :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tn9EMibWA
(my most popular YouTube clip…)
Easy to put together and relatively cheap apart from the TiGoat Ti pipe/dumper and bits.
The downside is that the volume is small (you can upscale with larger trays but obviously gets heavier) and it isn't all that good for cooking.
The WiFi, I am guessing that Josh designed that, combines the ease of assembly,round walls (should reflect heat well..) light weight as well as small packed size.
One thing I would want to try is to put a piece of safety blanket over the side walls so that you reduce the risk of burning yourself moving about.
Mind you I don't know how that would affect the resrt of the stove…
BTW, long term my tray stove will rust, Ti does not.

Kattt BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 7:55 pm

That looks great Doug. Bring it to Coe and you will be even more popular than usual.

PostedDec 1, 2013 at 12:00 am

As a CC Ti Inferno wood stove afficiondo I applaud an in-tent stove as light as yours. Love it!

Ian BPL Member
PostedDec 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

That is one sweet setup! It'll be interesting to hear what kind of burn times you get by adjusting the damper.

PostedDec 1, 2013 at 7:08 pm

"It'll be interesting to hear what kind of burn times you get by adjusting the damper."

I'm bringing it to the GGG so we can test it there (since it probably won't get out til then).

PostedDec 3, 2013 at 10:40 am

Hello everybody,

I'm a new member of the forum.

I have to ask about this setup because I've read the cuben fiber melts right away with a spark. So, is this tent spark resistent or is the WIFI low on spark or do I need to worry at all about this setup if I decide to buy it?

Thank you,

Miquel Casas
Portland, OR

PostedDec 3, 2013 at 11:59 am

"I have to ask about this setup because I've read the cuben fiber melts right away with a spark. So, is this tent spark resistent or is the WIFI low on spark or do I need to worry at all about this setup if I decide to buy it?"

The shelter is simply cuben – no spark resistant coating or anything of that nature. As far as the WiFi being low on spark, I imagine what you burn would have something to do with that. My set up does not have a spark arrestor.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedDec 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm

If you found sparks to be a problem, adding a length to the chimney would reduce sparks in two ways:

They would burn more completely in the longer upward travel. And they would have longer to fall and be more likely to be blown clear by any wind the higher they exit.

And as to Doug's previous comment, "I'm just not as anal as many of you are." – you make it sound like a bad thing.

PostedDec 4, 2013 at 8:50 am

Actually, the whole anal thing is cracking me up… ;)

By the way, I was more wondering about spark inside the tent…is that even a possibility?

Regarding the outside, I like the thought of a longer pipe & perhaps to customize a spark arrestor for the little pipe…

M.

PostedDec 4, 2013 at 9:20 am

"By the way, I was more wondering about spark inside the tent…is that even a possibility?
"

I guess anything is possible, but I'd think it's not likely if you have the 'door' closed that a spark could get out and to the tent. I'd be more worried about my sleeping bag than the shelter because the spark wouldn't have to travel as far.

the pipe is 5'5" – recommended pipe length from RL.

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedDec 4, 2013 at 10:32 am

Nice rig Doug. The goats continue to beat Kifaru at the game Kif invented.

It is possible to get sparks flying out the pipe, and coming out of the vent holes, door, or gaps in the stove body and/or stove-pipe interface. In all of these scenarios it is even less likely that a big enough spark might fall on the tent or your pad and burn a hole, but it is possible. You are playing with fire, after all.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Loading...