Topic

Layer education for novice

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 6:36 am

I'm a total novice to multi-day hikes but am planning on going on a a two-week journey next April, weather quite variable but averages in the 40s F at night and 60s F in the day. I'm little concerned about the weight of some of the things I normally wear. I'm also concerned about the fact that I get pretty damp underneath a rain shell with the things I tend to wear on day hikes. Clearly, I need some education.

Here are the things I currently wear on my upper body when I go on a day hike:

* When it's warm, I just wear an Icebreaker Merino Tech T Lite short sleeve shirt. 60s for me is warm.

* When it gets slightly colder but not windy, I have a SmartWool midweight long sleeve shirt.

* Colder still, I use an REI Windbrake fleece over the short sleeve shirt that has one of those wind-blocking membranes in it. It weighs 23 ounces, which has me uneasy since it might be in my pack quite a bit.

* If it rains, I put on a Marmot rainshell I have. If it's a cold rain, this is over the fleece and then I tend to get soggy pretty quickly.

I don't mind adding/replacing stuff for this trip. Can someone provide me with some guidance on what might be an appropriate set of layers that is lightweight, breathes well, and covers the 30F to 60F range with possibilities of rain? In general, I tend to be warm, not cold.

Link . BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 6:53 am

Check out thesefree videos from Mike Clelland,they are all very good but the 3rd one down is about UL backpacking clothes(how to layer).

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 6:55 am

For temperatures above 20 I have two layers. A VERY lightweight long sleeve short. mine is Golite but it could be anything like Cap 1. Windshirt… For temperatures below freezing or in the 30s with wind or if its misty then I will add a windshirt.

Now for rain. Others may differ but I think it is impossible to hike at any significant pace and stay dry with rain gear. The closest may be a poncho but that's a whole different issue. If you believe this then it is less important what that layer is and more important what you wear below it. if your base layer is very lightweight then it can quickly dry or at least get less dump. So in my case I have a cuben rain suit. It is intended to keep me wet and warm instead of wet and cold.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 7:16 am

same here – hiking above 20 F I only have 2 layers, secret is to have inner layer thin so it dries quickly

but having a waterproof breathable outer layer is useful even though the inner layer will sometimes get wet from sweat – sometimes it quits raining so I can take off outer layer or unzip front for maximum ventilation. When I quit hiking for a while I'll start to dry off and a waterproof breathable jacket will work better

I've tried ponchos a little but when it gets windy it doesn't work so good. Having a jacket that's bigger around works sort of the same.

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 7:26 am

@annapurna – thanks for pointing me to those videos.


@gg-man
and retiredjerry – Would 150 weight merino qualify as the ultra-light inner layer in your estimation? Also, I'm not sure I understand what you were saying about only 2 layers and wind shirts…were you saying a lightweight inner layer and a windshirt (or rain jacket if it's wet) down to 20F? Or does the wind shirt get replaced with some insulation in the colder temperatures?

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 7:42 am

I use thin nylon shirt and a WPB jacket down to 20F. But it requires brisk walking to stay warm enough, and hat. Many people would only be comfortable down to 25F or whatever.

Merino 150 or anything would also work. Hypothetically, you'de want to weigh it when wet and choose something that weighed less. Any thin layer would be about equally warm.

The WPB jacket is good for either rain, wind, or cold.

I'm just not into wind shirts because on most trips it rains some and wind shirt isn't as effective. But many people like them so…

With thin layers, it does trap some air which adds some warmth, especially if the layers are a bit big.

If it's too cold, then add a third layer – fleece vest or something.

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 11:40 am

Tad,

I almost always seem to have 4 layers with me. The first 2 can be worn separately or together; the windshirt paired with either or both for wind, warmth or light misty weather). The rain shell ideally stays in the pack (really need to have one in the PNW, though).

(1) a short-sleeve baselayer: either an Icebreaker Tech T or a MH Wicked Lite.
(2) a L/S midlayer: either a Patagonia Cap4 Hoody, an Ibex Hooded Indie or a MH Power stretch zip top.
(3) a Rab Cirrus windshirt.
(4) a rain shell: either an eVent shell or a Zpacks cuben poncho (I just got this so no real experience yet)

For some reason, I've convinced myself to pair a wool item with a synthetic item, so either the wool t-shirt + Cap4 hoody or the synthetic t-shirt and the wool hoody. I'm really liking the Power stretch top for dayhikes in the NW.

If I hiked in CA, I might just take a L/S thin zip layer (wool or synthetic) as #1 and #2 combined.

If I was going to thru-hike with a lot of sun, I might take a L/S button-up sun shirt instead of #1 (and maybe #2).

I also always have wool glove liners, some MLD over mitts, and some kind of warm hat (usually a power stretch beanie).

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I was out hiking a part of the AT in NY yesterday. Temperature was 24 deg. I was wearing thin base layer and windshirt and was toasty.

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Not everyone hikes at 4mph Malto. ;)

150 g/meter is a midweight base layer. Light is 120 g/meter or less.

Four torso layers is quite standard. Base layer, rain coat, and puffy are pretty standard. The fourth should add a degree of insulation and/or rain/wind resistance. How much and what kind will depend on conditions, locale, and personal preference.

A windshirt like a Rab Cirrus or Houdini is the lightest option. It doesn't provide much insulation, other than by blocking air and precip. Best for fast hikers in damp climates.

There are a lot of different garments which add a degree of pure insulation at the expense of weather resistance. Powerstretch fleece, light woven soft shell windshirts, etc. You'll have to experiment to find out what suits you.

Keep the windblock fleece for town use. The function/ounce ratio is poor, and if it gets wet will only get worse.

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedNov 30, 2013 at 6:25 pm

"Not everyone hikes at 4mph Malto. ;)"

I only wish!

But actually you do have a point. I have been teased for starting out a cold morning without extra layers and hiking warmth in myself. During those times my speed may be close to 4mph. :O

PostedNov 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Tad:

Your layers seem reasonable to me. You are missing the one piece that I use more than any other: an unlined, super light weight windproof hoody. All of the hiking and running companies make one. usually in the 5 ounce range. Just a thin fabric with a hood. DWR finish, just enough to block the wind and maybe a short drizzle. I carry mine year round and it's the first layer I add to a shirt when I need to block a little wind or chill. Doesn't boil you like a rain jacket (no matter what they claim about "breathable").

To give you an example, I hiked a little bit today in 30 degree weather, wearing a long sleeve tech t shirt and a power stretch fleece jacket. The next layer I would have added if I had gotten cold would have been this thin wind jacket, in my case, a Marmot Trail Wind Hoody. Just a bit of wind resistance would have added another 10 degrees to the fleece.

PostedDec 1, 2013 at 3:53 am

Thank you all, especially those with specific things to look at and think about.

If I went with something similar to an Arc'teryx Squamish (the extra length appeals to me since I have a long torso, plus I like Velcro cuffs) over a gridded fleece, would that fit the bill?

If so, what are some of the fleeces that don't fit like sausage casings? I found the Melanzana with some searching and it claims to fit a bit loosely. It's pullover and I guess I was thinking zip so that I could vent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...