Topic

MSR Lightning Ascent Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR Lightning Ascent Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Curious if anyone has removed the bindings from a pair of Lightning Ascents. From what I can see it looks like it might be pretty simple. There are a couple pins (cotter?) that appear to hold the entire thing on there.

Has anyone pulled those pins and removed the binding completely? Is it is pretty straightforward?

Ultimately I'm after the weight of the decks without the binding. If anyone has that I'd love to know!

Thanks for anything you can offer.

greg c

@spindrifter

Hi Curt. I have not removed the bindings and necessarily don't know the weight of the platform sans binding. i just looked at my pair and agree that it is just the two cotter pins on either side of the crampon that attach the binding to the frame. Should be quick and easy to remove and replace. Just feeling the weight of the binding in my hand as it swiveled on the axle I would guess that the majority of the total shoe weight is in the frame….but what do I know….

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks for checking. If you get a wild hair and pop one off and weigh it let me know. In the meantime I'll try to find a way to explain to the REI salesperson what I'm doing when they catch me ripping apart their showroom gear and throwing it on a mini scale :)

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

woops.. corrected below. apparently the lightning are slightly lighter than the Evo tours. both have the nicest bindings i've used. one strap on/off.

hwc 1954

@wcollings

The MSR Lightning series is just slightly lighter than the EVO series with the same length and bindings.

Probably not enough to really matter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools