Topic

Gloves

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Jason Johnson BPL Member
PostedNov 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm

So..its misting all day and 34 degrees.. I have on my marmot precip pants and jacket..what do I wear on my hands. Thought about latex gloves…but haven't been out in the rain to try them.

PostedNov 26, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Polypropylene glove liner or the polartec powerdry high efficiency mitts in combo with MLD eVent mitts is what i have and would use for above conditions.

I imagine thicker, well felted (often boiled), and well soaked in lanolin wool gloves would work pretty well too.

Lot's o' choices see.

Justin Baker BPL Member
PostedNov 26, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I like wool gloves, they stay reasonably warm while wet. The fox river ragg wool fingerless gloves are my favorite.

Kenneth Jacobs BPL Member
PostedNov 27, 2013 at 11:19 am

I've been looking at this combo:

Marmot Midweight Baselayer Gloves (0.8oz) – to replace the liners of the pair below

http://www.rockcreek.com/marmot/midweight-baselayer-glove-mens/18800.rc?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_content=Gloves&utm_campaign=Marmot&gclid=COGCvKzj9roCFccRMwodEkkAMw

Outdoor Research Versaliner Gloves (0.8oz for the shells) – just for the waterproof shells

http://www.rockcreek.com/outdoor-research/versaliner-womens/28073.rc?question=Outdoor%20Research%20VersaLiner%20Gloves

HTH

KJ

PostedNov 27, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I have a pair of MLD eVent mitts. The fabric is quite light and strong. But the seams are not waterproof. I tried sealing these seams and found it quite difficult. Thus, mine are no where near waterproof. Also know, because of the design and cut these are not form fitting. I was caught in an early snow storm / rain shower / blizzard where I need my MLD eVent mitts to be waterproof. They were not. I will not rely on them again to keep my hands anywhere near dry. Others may love them but not me. Now, I have several other MLD products and thing they are of the finest quality and materials. MLD is a great company but this product is not worth the $45 IMO.

Rodney

PostedNov 28, 2013 at 5:03 am

"Is the Bison down kind of like Qiviut?"

It's supposed to be, yes. Warmer than wool, etc. etc. Can only tell you I love mine – soft and warm.

Derek M. BPL Member
PostedNov 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I find flip top fingerless gloves to be a good hand insulation system for me, especially in wet weather, and especially for applications like backpacking where you don't need to use your hands much, but when you do, you usually need the dexterity of bare fingers. This flip top crab mitt designs seems to be a good compromise between dexterity and warmth.

I like this style of glove in a fleece material, but I'm sure wool would work well too.

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedNov 29, 2013 at 7:36 am

I have found the Extremities Tuff Bags to be better then the MLD eVent Mitts. I would have rather had the Haglofs Gram Shell, but I couldnt find any for sale when I needed them. If I were buying today, I think I might try the WPB mitts from Lukes Ultralight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Loading...