Topic

0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 0.55oz (15.6g) screw canister stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

0.55 OZ (15.6 gram) upright screw canister stove, made from Aluminum, Titanium, Brass and Beryllium Copper wire, except for the jet every part is designed and hand made, the jet has been modified. The valve assembly weighs 7 grams and the burner head, pot supports and tube weighs in at 8.6 grams.

The stove has been designed as a minimalist stove for a small pot or metal mug. Despite its lightweight it is surprisingly robust. The radius of the pot supports is probably a little small but they give a good grip on the bottom of the pot and in testing it does not seem to be a problem.

Designed into the valve is an adjustable flow restrictor so the stove can be tuned for optimal performance at maximum flame to save fuel.

What I would like is a smaller lighter screw canister, that would make the weight of this stove very competitive weight wise with the lightest Alcohol stove.

Initial testing shows that it uses about 5-6 grams of fuel to boil 0.5L water so using a 100g canister it could give between 8-10L of boiled water. The dead weight of the stove and empty canister is about 105 grams.

15 grams stove
    15g stove 3
    15 grams stove 2
    15g stove 4

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

Awesome, simply awesome. Too bad it can't be bought (sigh).

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Are you able to show us what the flame pattern looks like under a pot? Also one without a pot.

Is the valve assembly die cast aluminum?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Awesome Job!!!!! Looks like we have a seasoned machinist on our hands. Is this a hobby, or a job? I've got a machine shop myself, so this project is very motivational for me. A few questions…

Are those pot supports "press fit" into the holes?
    What are the pot supports made of?
    Which stove did you use the existing parts from?

Might be looking into doing something like this myslef…unless of course you begin to sell them, in which case I'll sit back on the couch and pull out my credit card.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

O.K.
    The stove is awesome, but why go through all that work for the weight savings and then throw a Jetboil on top of it?

Kind of contradicts its self from the savings.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Mark,

"Too bad it can't be bought (sigh)"

It is not what I had in mind but I will look into making some for to sale, with some design changes and using stock material sizes it might be easier, cheaper and quicker to make, sourcing Titanium in Australia can be a problem though. This will take time.

Tony

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Dan,

Here are some photos of the flame.

The valve body is machined out of a solid piece of aluminium.

Tony

flame no pot
    flame with pot

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Steven,

This is my hobby, my job is a Technician in a University Research lab designing and making scientific instruments.

The pot supports are screwed in and are made from Titanium (REI Ti tent pegs).

The only part that I did not make is the jet, which is a replacement jet, purchased from my local camping store for A$3, I have modified it to suit the stove.

Tony

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Aaron,

"The stove is awesome, but why go through all that work for the weight savings and then throw a Jetboil on top of it?

Kind of contradicts its self from the savings."

The stove was not designed for a Jetboil pot it was designed for a small pot or mug but the JB pot fitted, try puting a Jet boil pot on top of a Pocket Rocket.

Tony

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

Email me if you go ahead…I'm officially first in line.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Beatiful craftsmanship!

Todd

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Tony:::: The flame photos are awsome and are worth a thousand words. Thank You Much

What do estimate the cost to machine your first 10 piece production lot? Would it be in the same range as the Pocket Rocket?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Dan,

"What do estimate the cost to machine your first 10 piece production lot? Would it be in the same range as the Pocket Rocket?"

The Pocket Rocket US$40 the SnoPeak GP manual $40 the Snowpeak manual GPTi $65, I cannot compete and I do not want to. For a run of ten here in Australia it would probably cost me $40 for the materials Ti is not cheap here plus there would be many hours labour.

For most hi tech gear the lighter it is the more expensive it is.

I design and make these stoves for my hobby and I do not have expertise in manufacturing.

Tony

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

""I design and make these stoves for my hobby and I do not have expertise in manufacturing.""

You have a very interesting hobby and you do very well at expressing your hobby. Thanmk You for sharing with us. I also have the same hobby and I love it!!!!!!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Dan,

I have been following your 45g wood burning stove thread with interest, I think it is a very cleaver design and would like to thank you for sharing it.

Tony

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

This is an update on my ultra light upright canister stove, it now weighs 0.5 ounces or 14.2 grams (14.1994g). I have decided to call it the 05OZG Stove (0.5 ounce gas stove).

The further weight reductions that I have achieved have been done with no reduction in the structural integrity of the stove.

I would like to thank Yukio Yamakawa whose wonderful stove designing is one of my inspirations.

0.5 oz gas stove

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Really nice!!!!! Do you use a carbide or diamond bit on the Titanium?

I'm inspired to start using my Watchmakers lathe.Purchased two years ago at garage sale for $20.00. Included a 3 jaw chuck and about 30 collets. Something for the winter months.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Dan,

“Do you use a carbide or diamond bit on the Titanium?”

I mostly use High Speed Steel on Ti but some times with difficulty. The pot supports are REI tent pegs and they machined quite well with HSS, the mixing tube and needle valve are from a Titanium valve stem and was not as easily machined but with sharp tools and drills I managed. The burner plate which is 0.5mm/0.020 inches thick if from a piece of Titanium bar that had been rolled and was very hard I had to use a carbide tool to initially get under the surface then I drilled the holes with a normal HSS drill but then I had the plate parted off with a wire cutter.

One of the groups at my work does research on ceramic and diamond tools and I have seen what they can do. I have seen a ceramic CBN tool easily machine hardened bearing steel then I witnessed a piece of CBN being machined by a diamond tool.

$20 for a jewellers lathe was a bargain

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Yes, the lathe was a super bargain.

Keep shaving the grams!!!!!

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Dan,

What make is the lathe, I have a Lorch jewellers/watchmakers lathe in my lab workshop a very nice little lathe except it the hand feeds screws are the opposite direction to normal and it takes a bit to get used to when I start to use it.

Tony

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Tony, the design looks excellent and amazingly light. Someone on another BPL thread tried using 1/16" Ti rod (purchased from BPL) as a pot support for an alcohol stove. Much to their surprise, the Ti rod softened in the heat. Is your Ti rod a thicker gauge?

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Hi Chris,

The Ti rod that I used for the pot support is from an REI Ti tent peg it is 3.4mm (0.1355inch) diameter tapered down to 2mm (0.080 inch). In testing so far I have not had a problem but time will tell.

Tony

Yukio Yamakawa

@jsbjsb

Locale: Tokyo,JAPAN

トニーさん、こちらこそ、ありがとう!

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=ooYvcwEGCZo

480set 一パイントのカップに入った小指大のストーブですライター用のブタンガスボンベは30g入りです。赤いキャップを反転させてセットすると、適量のガスが出てきます。半固定式でのガスが出せます。火力調整はそれほど重要ではない場面が多いので試作してみました。週末のハイキングセットです。

The butane chemical cylinder for the lighter/writer which is the little finger large stove which enters into the cup of one pint is the 30g entering. Reversing the red cap, when you set, the gas of proper quantity comes out. It can put out the gas with semi- stationary type. Because fire coordination the scene which that much is not important is many, it tried making on an experimental basis. It is hiking set of weekend.

5thdemension

次の写真はこういう形でのバーナーのキットがあると面白いと想像して作ってみました。販売されていない架空のバーナーキットです。ペンケースに収納。地面から鍋底まで25mmを実現。ホットゾーンを縦方向に圧縮した記念碑です。「第五の次元」と呼んでいます。下の写真は、柔らかい地面のときにペグを打ち込んでスタンドとして使うことを示しています。引き抜くときは、スプーンの穴を利用出来ます!予め、ポットをおいてペグで外周円を描きます。その少し内側に、3等分の位置にペグを垂直または意識的に斜めに打ち込みます。高さなどは、調理方法や好みで選べます。4本以上のペグを使えば安定が増します。

The following photograph tried making when there is a kit of the burner in such way, imagining that it is funny. It is the overhead burner kit which is not sold. You receive to the pen case. Actualizing 25mm from the land to bottom of a pan. It is the monument which compressed the hot zone in lengthwise. It calls “fifth dimension”. The photograph under, ramming down peg at the time of the soft land, has shown the fact that you use as the stand. When pulling pulling out, the hole of the spoon can be utilized! Beforehand, putting in place the pot, you draw peripheral circle with peg. On a little inside, peg you ram down to the position of 3 equal amounts vertically or intentionally slantedly. It can choose height and the like, with cooking method and the taste. If the peg 4 or more is used, stability increases.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools