Topic

Close encounters of the most scary and odoriferous kind

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Close encounters of the most scary and odoriferous kind

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Very interesting replies and experiences folks. Well in relation to Kevin's replies, in his own way Pepe did seem kind of cute–not sure how i would have felt with a cuddle though.

Ken…that deserves a true "OMG", poor fellow.

Rodger, the mice are mating with the rats and producing mice rats now? What is the world coming to?

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area
    Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Skunks are pretty bad at Point Reyes National Seashore up here. But … I find them to be, for the most part, tolerable. It's obvious when there is one because entire camps move from site to site picking up new members until there are 30 people from five different groups at your site while the Skunk makes its rounds. Great way to meet new people. One such night my buddy – who is still working his way into a sub-5 lb. shelter pointed out that his tent was open and had a pack and – most likely – snacks inside. I decided someone had to do it, and I carefully and slowly tip-toed up to the tent with the skunk headed for the same destination. Moved between the skunk and his tent (the skunk about five seconds too late and three feet away) and oh so carefully bent down to zip up the door and move back to the top of the picnic table with everyone else. It was suspenseful but the skunk relented. Looked at me like any habituated or half habituated animal and let me close the door and go on my way, without spraying either me or the tent. Pure success. I'm less afraid around them now, but know that they won't hesitate to spray a dog, so it is important to mind your critters around such critters. Though skunks have pretty excellent control over their spray glands. They must, it was a pretty tense situation – I assume – for the both of us.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools