Topic

Baffle Height vs. Baffle Width

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
M W BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Is there a formula?

My goal is a quilt with 1.75" of loft. I'm not entirely clear on the relationship between baffle geometry and overfilling. I gather 30% overfill is often recommended, although Thru-Hiker just today suggested no more than 15-20% in the 800 activ-dri feathers.

Can I aim for 1.5" baffle height, max 4" baffle width and stuff amount for 1.75" – 2" loft without adding 30% overfill?

I'm not sure this was covered elsewhere exactly, I apologize if so!

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm

"Can I aim for 1.5" baffle height, max 4" baffle width and stuff amount for 1.75" – 2" loft without adding 30% overfill?"

Yes. 30% overfill is a lot really and is often used to overcome a poorly designed baffle(like a wide KARO baffle). Industry standard is no more than 5" of baffle width, with a smaller number having more down control, but also adding weight & complexity. Worth it IMO though. Most people still add 10% overfill just to cover any fudge factor, loss of loft due to washing, etc.

Ryan

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Loading...