Topic

EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals EB Downlight 50 Jacket $63!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Where?

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Only tall sizes left – no regular sizes at that price on the website unfortunately…

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Sometimes 6'5" has its perks. :) Picked one up.
    Ryan

Hammock Hanger

@hammockhanger

I found these ran a size large (I bought my X-LargeTall in 2010 and had to swap it for a LargeTall. I also swapped my Large EB DL vest for a Medium, I'm 6.0/#185 ). However Tall is not so bad, a little extra coverage never hurts.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Ryan – nice score – they look like great jackets and a great deal. At 5'10" and 185 a large tall would likely be too long in the sleeves (the length is not as much a concern for me really).

The non 50th version is also on sale and with the extra 30% isn't a bad deal – just not enough for me to pull the trigger as I already have a Brooks Range BR jacket.

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've tried one on and its a very nice jacket–warm for the weight. I had to talk myself out of it when I saw the deal. I still have occeassional flickers of will power.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i'd buy a large if anyone doesnt want theirs. or i can trade for a new never used beastly brooks range alpini with 6oz of down/14 oz total weight. anyone interested? this brooks alpini is way too much jacket for me down south…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

received an EB downlight 800 fill jacket as a gift this weekend…

one of the baffles has absolutely not fill at all in the shoulder …

went back to exchange it and some of the jackets in the store have underfilled baffles …

looks like ill be doing a return …

im usually a fan of EB … but their quality control is slipping IMO … a jacket should not reach the store to the customer with unfilled baffles …

;)

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Didn't Patagonia's world-beater $700 jacket also have some fill issues too? Seems this is becoming more common.

Ryan

Santiago Draco
    Spectator

@santiagodraco

Anyone know when this was supposed to expire? They had no xxl in stock yesterday but now they have a "few" but the sale is gone? Seems a bit sketchy to me.

Santiago Draco
    Spectator

@santiagodraco

So, after trying to track down a way to get the jacket for 90 bucks I reached their customer service and was told, after the rep checked several other departments, that the 90$ price was a typo and "all orders placed at this price were or are being cancelled".

Anyone have any direct experience with this? Seems like a great deal at 90 for sure. I was able to get 40% off if I still want the jacket (may take them up on the offer, we'll see) but I'm more curious if anyone actually ordered and received one at the $90 price.

Thanks!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Didn't Patagonia's world-beater $700 jacket also have some fill issues too? Seems this is becoming more common.

Ryan

well that thread is somewhere on BPL … we just wont talk about it here ;)

as an update, i inspected the jackets they had in the store and found a hooded downlight that seemed to have even fill in the baffles relatively speaking

moral of the story? … inspect it before you buy … you might find some with uneven or unfilled baffles …

for you yankee folks at least they have free return shipping this xmas season … and their warranty is second to none

;)

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Dang, totally missed out on this and i could have used an XXLT. It seems they don't even have the Downlight 50 on their site anymore.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Update: Got mine a few days ago. XL/Tall size. It runs a hair big on me in the torso, but not bad. Would be perfect to layer something underneath like a fleece. Very puffy with no under filled baffles. Build quality, seams, etc are good. Fabric has a nice feel. 11.5oz….Only thing I would like to see added would be a cinch in the bottom hem.

Overall, very pleased with this 900fp DWR-down jacket for $79.00!

Ryan

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Rick,

It measures 28" from bottom center to collar. From center back to end of sleeve is 34.5"-35".

Ryan

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

That is really small for an XLT. I don't think an XXLT would have fit me then because I need 30" x 37". I don't feel so bad anymore now.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

It is a little short for a Tall size, but the sleeve length is about right I think. I normally wear a 36/37 sleeve length in dress shirts and it's long enough for me. There could be some fudge factor in my measuring. I am 6'5' 205lbs for reference.

Ryan

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Got a Downlight Hoody on mega discount earlier this week from the sale listed at the start of this thread. Not going to keep it because the MB Mirage that I got from Bobby on the Gear Swap beats it out, but that Downlight Hoody was pretty impressive just the same. It reminds me somewhat of a an overstuffed MB Down Inner Parka, something like that. Sewn through construction, simple detailing, sizing was roughly comparable to my MB from several years ago IIRC.

What was most interesting about it though, and why I mention "overstuff" is that the down chambers felt unusually firm and resilient, not like the wispy-thin stuff I'm familiar with. Even though the MB Mirage had an overall higher loft and box construction, and was certainly warmer, the Downlight Hoody had a plush cushness to it that was reassuring, pleasant, kind of unique. I don't know if you get that "firmness" from overstuffing or just using more feathers, or what. I'm no down expert by any means.

But, just thought I would put in my $0.02. If I wanted a slightly more robust, more affordable, slightly heavier, and pleasantly puffy piece than the MB Mirage, Alpine Light, or e.g. GoLite Bitterroot … the Downlight Hoody would be a good choice. And under weight at ~14.xx oz.

And by the way(!) if anybody wants my size medium / steel / brand new Downlight Hoody, I would happily sell it rather than return it. I think the best you can do online now is about $200 with their current promo code. I would sell it for $150 to anybody interested!

PM me or email sns426 [at] gmail [dot] com

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools