Topic

Work Apron – Anything like it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Work Apron – Anything like it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

When working on projects, I find this very simple "nail apron" or "work apron" to be indispensable. It's just two big pockets, incorporated into a short apron. Costs all of 77 cents at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-Canvas-Work-Apron-HD324655/202311423#.UpLgHiiWUbA

On a recent pack trip, I'd wished I'd brought it for camp chores. A fanny pack turned to the front is also handy, but heavier, more complex, and I find I really don't need the zipper. Unless I'm lunging about, my flashlight, hand cleaner, spoon, lighter, bandana, etc, isn't going to jump out of the open-top pockets.

Question is, does a vendor make something like this out of a lightweight material, that would be appropriate for backpacking? Two large open-top pockets you can tie about your waist? (And possibly, tie over your pack hip belt?)

Or is this a MYOG project?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Gear creep (meaning adding on gear that one may not really need but it sounds cool)..lol..kidding.

Andy Stow
    BPL Member

@andys

Locale: Midwest USA

How about modifying something you already take with you? A stake bag or other small stuff sack that clips to two of your belt loops, for instance.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Isn't this the site where everyone was cutting out their pockets for like 3g weight savings ;) now you want your pockets back!

i use my pants and/or jacket pockets.. comes attached for use all day :)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

zpacks multipack

If the zipper doesn't appeal, I bet Joe would make you one with a flap closure so you could use it open-topped.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

It's probably an MYOG project to get it just right, but I found this:

http://eaglewc.com/change-apron-100-spun-polyester.html

It's made from Polyester and it says 6.4oz, but that might be the material weight. At any rate, polyester is pretty light.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

That would be about perfect, Max. Nice, big pockets. Will check it out.

> Why not take the home depot one?

Cotton. Don't want to haul around a wet, double layer of cotton around my waist.

> now you want your pockets back! i use my pants and/or jacket pockets…

I don't like to hike with stuff in my pants pockets, distracting, and/or jabs leg. Plus, my pants pockets are not large enough for all the stuff I'd like handy.

I'd like to be able to take my pack off, and still have a couple of large pockets, that could substitute for a fanny pack on a short packless walkabout, OR be a handy place to stash cooking gear while making breakfast/dinner. Better than setting utensils on the ground.

If I can figure this out, the pockets would be low enough to be compatible with a pack hip belt, yet high enough to not flop against the top of the leg.

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

What about fashioning one yourself out of a tyvek envelope and light cord? Or even smaller freezer bags with holes punched to thread cord through? Then it's also somewhat water resistant and can be closed up, and light.

The most UL option, of course, would be to tie the leg holes of your boxer briefs and thread your shoelace through the waistband. That way you have zero extra carried weight and the construction is multi-purpose.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools