Topic

Is there a Market for a Sub 10 oz Hooped Bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Is there a Market for a Sub 10 oz Hooped Bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

It seems there have been several bivy threads lately. I follow them closely as I love my Borah Bivy. One gap I see in the market is a UL Hooped Bivy.
    Is there a market for such an animal? Say sub 10oz with a hooped, or arched pole support over the head?
    I believe there is but seems no one makes one. At least in this weight range.
    I want to build one but I am not sure why they don't already exist. Or am I missing it in my search?

What do fellow BPL members think, is there a need? Are the Cottage gear builders missing out on this opportunity?

I would love to pair a UL hooped bivy with my Zpacks 6×9 tarp. I can't see it getting much better for flexibility.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Hey Kevin,

I would freaking love to have the option to get a hoop on the TiGoat Bug Bivy that I have, and combine it together with my 80 gram tarp.

While not sub 10 ounces, yet under 20 ounces, Dave from MilesGear makes a couple of hoop tyvek bivouacs.

+John Abela
    HikeLighter.Com
    facebook.com/hikelighter
    @hikelighter

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Some would say unnecessary weight when the hooped sleeping bag cover is not your primary waterproof shelter. Already made are those that have extra fabric that can be raised with cordage.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kevin,

My MLD Soul Side Zip Bivy has a Ti Wire built into the hood portion of the bivy that is removable.

It does not make the hood area free standing, but helps create more headroom and keeps the bug netting off my face.

I cross my poles above the hood area and tie off a cord from the bivy's built in loop on the hood to my poles to keep the hood suspended above me.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but close.

In my case, I have the eVent fabric, which pushes my weight to 13 oz.

Tony

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

I have looked at the Miles Gear set ups both are nice. I really think that you could cut the weight down substantially using something like the Tigoat or Borah side zip bivies with an optional hoop.
    I use the cordage to lift up the net on my Borah bivy which works ok. IMO a hoop opens the shoulder and head area up so much more.
    Looking at all of the fabric options in cuben and WPB cuben/eVent tells me that a 10-12 ounce hooped bivy is perfectly feasible.

A .74 oz cuben bottom and WPB cuben and head netting with Delrin hoop is what I see as hitting the10 ozish mark?
    I could certainly be wrong but I see the next evolution of UL bivies is Hooped.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Outdoor Research bivies use a light Delrin rod to hold the canopy up. Adding one to an UL design shouldn't be a big deal; it just takes a tunnel and maybe a reinforced pocket at each end. It won't take a snow load, but will keep it off your face and shoulders.

I want a stand alone waterproof vented bivy with bug screen mode.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Bearpaw makes this one which I have.
    http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_floors/bug_bivy.html
    I'm sure he could make it out of other material. It provides a very nice space at your shoulders and head

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Bearpaw makes a hooped bug bivy that I am sure John can easily modify into a full coverage bivy since he can do that with all his other inners.

Edited to say great minds think alike!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Kevin – probably possible with the W/B Cuben to get down to that weight, and it is going to be mighty spendy, so the market is probably very small. The W/B cuben that zpacks sells is four times the cost of eVent fabric, and with eVent bivies starting at $160 I see a hooped cuben job at probably $400 and up.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I guy here in the PNW here came up with this system for a hoop, which I thought was pretty snazzy.

http://www.williswall.com/willis-wall-blog/2012/1/18/fastpackers-notebook-10-oz-shelter-system.html

Always thought that would be nice to have in a bug bivy

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

I tried that hoop with the same materials in my borah bivy and didn't have much success used in that manner. Instead I use a 2' piece of the delrin (or a found stick if going megalight) and run it on the inside of the bivy through a loop I sewed in on the back side of the head hang loop. Gives me much more head room inside when hung from the loop now, but free standing it is not.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Why not just get a net tent? Smd makes one of the lightest ones at 7.9oz.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have and use the BPW bug bivy. If I'm not mistaken, mine weighs in at 9 or 10 ounces, I forget exact weight. I love it for summer spring and fall. If it going to rain, I pitch my MLD Patrol Shelter over it. I like that I can pitch it anywhere and the hoop keeps it well of my face and upper body. I do not need to use my hiking poles or any other obsticales to pitch this bivy either. Sets up quickly and breaks down quickly and it packs down very small taking up minimal pack space.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools