Topic

Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide – Deadly or Not? Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Stoves, Tents and Carbon Monoxide – Deadly or Not? Part 5: Laboratory Measurements for Solid Fuels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas
    Andrew H
    BPL Member

@andrew-howell

Roger. Great detailed test as ever. Well done. I would be delighted to send you some of our new Firedragon solid ethanol fuel. It outperforms hexi in almost all aspects, and doesnt generate copious quantities of hydrogen cyanide which Hexi does. Also I would be delighted for you to try out our new small lightweight cookers which go with the fuel.

All my Best Andy Howell http://www.bcbin.com

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have replied direct to Andrew H.

Cheers

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use ESBIT tablets in the aftermarket BGET tablet holder (it holds liquid residue in its base for a longer, safer burn).

Further I burn the ESBIT inside a Trail Designs Sidewinder titanium Caldera Cone with a 3 cup Open country anodized aluminum lidded pot with a wider bottom and lower sides ratio for max efficiency.

I find this 3 cup pot is the maximum size for efficiently using ESBIT (or alcohol) for solo backpacking.* Also I’ve found the Caldera Cone style of stove is the most efficient for ESBIT.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

But I never heard back from Andy about the Firedragon fuel. A pity.

I agree with Eric about needing a ‘cup’ for the ESBIT fuel for when it melts. Otherwise there is a loss of fuel.

Cheers

Andrew H
    BPL Member

@andrew-howell

Roger, Pls email me as i dont look on this site very often. my email is [email protected]

I will happily send you some of our eco fuel – FireDragon and cooker to test and try. All the very best ANdy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools