Topic

Ultralight Hard Bottle?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight Hard Bottle?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Gee Max,

I really don't have an answer for you.

But I'm getting a little bored with this thread.

Do you mind ending this and moving on to something more interesting?

thanks so much,

Bill :)

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Max, I formerly used two 20 oz Gatorade bottles, which weighed 40.1 grams each. So 80.2 grams for a total capacity of 40 oz.

Now I am using three 16 oz aluminum beer bottles which weigh 26.7 grams each. So 80.1 grams for a total capacity of 48 oz.

The real weight saving benefit for me comes in being able to leave my 28.3 gram Foster's can and lid at home, and heat my water for meals directly in the aluminum beer bottles. Uncapped, of course. I do have to watch closely to keep it from boiling over and grab it off the stove right at the moment a full boil is reached.

The aluminum of the beer bottles is pretty thick, about 2/3 again thicker than a regular beer can, based on weight vs. diameter and capacity. Pretty puncture resistant, though I don't know how it would compare in a worst case scenario vs. the Gatorade bottles or a Platypus.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Check out some of the water bottles at your local health food/ organic store. I found some that are BPA free and are a blue color. These are a little thicker than regular water bottles.

I consider regular water bottles Aquafina, Dasani etc extremley bomber. Im almost positive you could make one last a whole year being used 365 days a year. They do not puncture or shatter like hard bottles might. There is a reason why reg bottles are so popular, they are cheap too, and easily replacable. Oh yeah, and light.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Yea, sorry if I didn't delineate my criteria too much.

-Cheap water bottles (Aquafina, Gatorade, etc) leach phthalates over time (say that 3 times fast!). A phthalate is a chemical with a really weak covalent bond that breaks off of plastics over time through regular use, right into your water.

Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate

Long story short, phthalates have been linked to breast cancer, endocrine disruption, and lots of other not-so-nice conditions. So, I'm happy to buy a soda and drink it, but I'm not going to re-use it for longer than a couple of days. The older your plastic bottles get, the higher your exposure is.

High-quality BPA-free plastics like those found in cycling bottles and Nalgenes don't leach as much, as fast. I still replace em every year or so, but I don't stress about it.

What's this mean for a hard-sided bottle?

It means I'm looking for something that isn't from the recycling bin. If the Fuji bottles are higher quality plastic (still investigating) they'll do.

After this thread, I need the tropical island effect. I feel like you guys are just getting on the anti-bottle-thread bandwagon at this point. Seriously, it is not that hard to ignore a thread and refrain from commenting uselessly… thank you!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You are sensitive to used water bottles. There is no problem with that. I consider an ultralight water bottle to weigh less than 1.5 oz. for a 1 liter size. Is that a fair definition? If not, you would need to define your weight restriction and then we might help further.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

"Go home, Max! We don't want your bottle thread here! You're asking too much! Get lost!"

"Gatorade or Death!!!"

HA. Wrong! There is a hard sided bottle that weighs less than a nalgene with UL-specific properties, and I found it thanks to this thread!

http://www.bradleyalpinist.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=211

Big cap for use with gloves, super durable and flexible to prevent cracking, weighs LESS than a Nalgene, and is BPA free.

Thread closed.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

" But chemicals, I can avoid.

So I try to, if I can."

Well, you can avoid SOME chemical exposure routes.
    But is it even a significant portion?
    Probably not.

You are surrounded and bombarded by chemicals in virtually every thing manmade. Everything you touch, wear, sit-on, and use.
    And even, ….breathe.

The question is, does any of it matter.
    Undoubtedbly it does.
    Its just near impossible to isolate and correllate any cause-effect from anything over 40 yr periods with so many compounds.

You likely have measurable blood levels of many common chemicals. Its a fact.
    Flameretardants, plasticizers, solvents, pesticides, fuel additives, etc. They are in everything you buy, and use.
    Drinking out of something isnt necessarily a more dangerous exposure route than any other.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

You're welcome.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

I knew someone out there had an answer :)

Sometimes a thread just needs to stew for 48 hours so the right people chime in.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Define "UL specific properties"? The posted German bottles look heavy.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Your mistaking my attempt to help you find an answer to your little quandary for grouchiness. You asked for suggestions, I offered up two solutions within your parameters in a straightforward manner. We can "kick the can" here for days. You seem to be mildly amused at the suggestions others have made in your thread, but if you read through it very deliberately you will find several viable lightweight solutions for simply carrying liquid.

So, let's lay out your criteria:

1. Non BPA
    2. Non Nalgene
    3. Not a repurposed bottle like a Gatorade bottle (*yet now a reused Fiji water bottle is what you were looking for?)
    4. Narrow mouth w/ simple screw top
    5. "UL"
    6. Minimalistic in design
    7. "Hard sided" but not too hard, definitely not "soft sided" like a Platy or Hydraflask
    8. Durable, but not built like a tank

Miss any?

You never included what volume size you were looking for. 16oz? 20? 24? liter?

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

The "ultralight" bottle is a platypus 2L.

Whenever you start adding the "D" word into the mix, things get heavier, but the hard-sided nalgenes were overkill.

This is lighter than a nalgene hard-sided bottle with similar durability and is exactly what I'm looking for. Any lighter, and they might as well be a Platypus.

The "magic" bottle that is hard-sided, durable, but lighter than a few ounces doesn't exist (that I have found) but these offer a nice compromise. The cap isn't perfect… but they fill so many of my other requirements (if you wanna call them that) that I'm willing to look past it.

Honestly, I'm tired of searching. If you have a better idea, post it.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

@ Eugene, and others,

If you're just looking to argue, i'm not doing it. If you want to know what I'm looking for, it's been clearly indicated in the thread.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

But what exactly does this bottle weigh Max?

I didn't see it on the web site you gave us.

Perhaps I missed it.

thanks,

bill

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

4.8oz for the 1L according to this site.. https://www.40below.com/products_detail.php?ProductID=18

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

4.8 oz ?????

That's 1.0 oz heavier than my 1L Nalgene bottles.

Bill

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

"The 1 liter bottle comes in at 135 grams (4.8 oz) in between the UL and 'standard' nalgene bottles. They also do a 1.5 liter that comes in at 174 grams (6.2 oz)"

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I've read nothing on this thread to dissuade me from my 3.8 oz HDPE Nalgene Bottles.
    I typically take one of these and one or two of the 1 oz Platapus bladders, depending on the trip.

Bill

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

"That means no frills like a straw (the best cap would be similar to a Platy, just a simple narrow-neck screw-on) and the body should be firm, but not overbuilt and heavy like a Nalgene. Something that can survive being dropped a bunch where a Platy might get a tear."

So which is it Max?

Narrow neck screw on cap like a Platy? Not built like a Nalgene?

The Hunersdorff appears to weigh as much as as a readily available 1L polyethylene Nalgene bottle, it's built exactly like a Nalgene, and is lacking a narrow neck screw top like that found on a Platy….. and definitely not "UL".

Don't be surprised by some of the suggestions and confusion within your thread.

Glad you found what you were looking for along.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Distinct memories of "the perfect WP/B bivy" thread initiated by Max where all input was rejected, and requirements changed every few posts. Sheesh.

b willi jones
    BPL Member

@mrjones

Locale: best place in the world !?

the more i know… the more im thinking… what a tatua raho

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Max, if you haven't settled on a bottle yet, check this out. You may be looking for something called a Boston round bottle. It comes in plastic and glass.

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/catalog/plastic-boston-rounds/40/#0,0&0&0&0&0&0&0&40&0&8&list&0&0&undefined,1

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I was going to suggest the Hunersdorff Wide Mouth bottle way earlier in your thread but it didn't fit your criteria for the bottle you are looking for…Narrow neck screw on cap like a Platy.

Section Hiker Winter Gear List
    >Hunersdorf Bottles are recommended by Everest Guides, they’re about 50% lighter than Nalgenes, and are great for carrying boiling hot water. They also cost $9.95 each (same as a Nalgene) and don’t crack because they’re made out of a softer plastic<

Also from Section Hiker on the Hunersdorff Wide Mouth bottle.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools