Topic

The holiday season approaches….

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedNov 22, 2013 at 8:28 pm

O, Veterans of the Online Sale,

What's the "big day(s)" for buying up gear with the holidays and the associated sales?

I am looking at picking up some stuff from REI, but I am not sure if I should strike now or wait till Black Friday, or after Christmas, or what!

Any inside information on cleaning up this holiday season for shiny new gear?

I've been REAL good this year.

Paul Magnanti BPL Member
PostedNov 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

The best sales are in January. Seriously.

Be it electronics, clothing or winter gear.,the post-holiday season sales are where it is at. :)

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedNov 22, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Paul is right. Black Friday for outdoor gear usually nets you the usual 20% off most major brands, maybe a little more at local gear shops trying to compete with the internet. In january though is when last season's items start to go on clearance to make room for new inventory, this will often include current season winter gear too.

I found the best way to save money long term is to have a serviceable setup and then just upgrade/update items when you find them on a particularly deep discount, if you know they regularly go on sale. Then save your cash for those few cherry picked items that are never on sale that are you've saved up for so long (like most cottage stuff).

Alternatively spend the time bargain hunting actually working and use the extra cash to buy things only mildly on sale…I'm finally doing the latter and still recommend the former method ;)

Edward Jursek BPL Member
PostedNov 23, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I recall, as do others, the best deals at REI are in January, maybe February. I have made some good scores around the dividend time and the 1 item sale coupon that comes with it. I have diversified, getting both my daughters REI memberships to get more 20% coupons. I keep a list of 3 or 4 items I need in the off season from REI, then lurk until sale time. I live dangerously close to the REI flagship store, so I have to be careful and only jump on great deals. I pick up any merino items from places like Department of Goods or 6pm starting in February, which is also when the good prices on down items start to pop up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...