Topic

SMD packs

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Arapiles . BPL Member
PostedNov 22, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I was just looking at SMD's website and there didn't seem to be any packs listed – has Ron stopped making them?

PostedNov 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Probably updating the site, perhaps getting ready to release the packs he's been working on with Brian Frankle, original ULA owner?

d k BPL Member
PostedNov 22, 2013 at 2:30 pm

SMD just sold all the old stock of packs at 40% off. What I heard from someone in the Mountain Shop in Portland early last month was that they'd still be making at least the Starlite, but it would be outsourced overseas now, rather than being made in the U.S. as they had been (according to him – I somehow thought that all the SMD stuff was outsourced these days, but perhaps I'm wrong). I have no idea if that is accurate or not. It does sound like they will be coming out soon with the Brian Frankle packs. But "soon" could be months…

PostedNov 22, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I was probably the one you talked to. SMD is totally sold out of packs, and will be until the new line comes in, probably not until mid January at the earliest. No current packs will be carried over. I still have a Starlight and Swift in stock, and when they are gone, they are gone.

d k BPL Member
PostedNov 22, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Thanks, Stephen, I guess they changed their mind on the Starlite (or did I misunderstand at the time?). Too bad, as that seems like such a popular pack. It will be interesting to see what the new packs are like in terms of weight, volume, options, etc. I did try on a prototype at the GGG last year.

PostedNov 22, 2013 at 2:41 pm

For the record. We've not given up on packs. We've been spending the last 18 months working on a new generation of lightweight packs. We have in fact sold out all of our older styles and will not be produced again.

We are currently finishing up the final details of the new packs and hope to put them into production soon. Once we're satisfied we'll start publishing some details on our website and Facebook page.

Believe me these packs are nothing like you ever seen coming out of either from SMD or ULA.

We will have the entire lineup of new packs at the GGG in January. Stay tuned!

Ron

PostedNov 22, 2013 at 4:21 pm

To the person who PM'd me. You'll need to contact me directly at SMD. My BPL privileges don't current extend to PM's.

Ron

PostedNov 22, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Does this extend to the stay? I was just thinking I should have included it in my starlite order and now I see they're not listed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...