Topic

quicky gear review: fox river ragg wool fingerless gloves.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) quicky gear review: fox river ragg wool fingerless gloves.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I purchased these gloves a couple years ago at rei for $10. At that price I wasn't expecting much.
    These gloves have been totally abused and are still in great condition. I have scrambled up rocks in them, grabbed onto branches, pushed through brush, hauled around logs, and even partially burned them. They are seriously tough for being wool gloves.
    The fingerless design makes them very useful, especially for sleeping in because you unzip your bag easily. When it gets colder I slide some thin poly liners under them.
    These gloves stay pretty warm while wet. I've worn them in the rain many times and they keep my hands from going numb.
    Highly recommended! My favorite gloves ever. And they are cheap.

link
    http://www.rei.com/product/696508

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My Fox River socks are insanely warm and durable. The "Steel Toe" design gives a little extra warmth around my toes. Fox River is all-in-all one of my favorite companies out there right now.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I used to use these for skiing but not the fingerless variety. Easy on and off even when wet. On the stormy days I would wear these and a sheet of ice would build up on the outside and the insides were damp but my hands were still warm. If there was too much wind on the way up the chair I would put my hands in the jacket pockets and that would keep the windchill off of them. When I went in for lunch I would let them thaw out, wring out the excess moisture and air dry while eating. When finished with lunch I would go in the bathroom and finish drying them out under the hand dryer. Going out into the storm again I would have dry warm gloves for the afternoon.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I think part of their durability comes from being fingerless. The fingers are always the first thing to blow out on the thin gloves I've used, especially wool. Wool gloves in general seems to deteriorate fast… but not these. The nylon content probably helps too.
    I want to try out some of their glomitts.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.rei.com/product/696508

"I purchased these gloves a couple years ago at rei for $10. At that price I wasn't expecting much.
    These gloves have been totally abused and are still in great condition. I have scrambled up rocks in them, grabbed onto branches, pushed through brush, hauled around logs, and even partially burned them. They are seriously tough for being wool gloves.
    The fingerless design makes them very useful, especially for sleeping in because you unzip your bag easily. When it gets colder I slide some thin poly liners under them.

These gloves stay pretty warm while wet. I've worn them in the rain many times and they keep my hands from going numb.
    Highly recommended! My favorite gloves ever. And they are cheap."

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Thanks for the shortened link John.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Gonna get me some of those gloves. I have always looked at them, but forget why I didn't spring for a pair.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I've had a pair for about 20 years and they are definitely warm and durable. Even with the elastic gone in one cuff they are functional.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Been wearing them for about 2 weeks now. Fantastic gloves. I love that they're "ambidextrous" in how they're sewn, so I can just chuck them on.

My favorite is wearing them over a pair of liner gloves to preserve dexterity but gain a lot of warmth.

10/10 for something $10

J Dos
    BPL Member

@damager

Locale: Redwoods of Santa Cruz Mts

I own a pair of the Gripper style gloves and wear them all of the time because I have the most pathetic circulatory system known to mankind. I like the way they grip my trekking poles. They are warm and durable. Mine have been going strong for nearly 2 years. I park my truck outside all year and in the winter I will even use these for driving gloves until my heater kicks on. I picked them up for ~10$.

They made it onto my best cheap gear list of 2013. Glad to see other people using these products.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools