Topic

Dropping Weight From Your Dental Kit – Ideas Shared

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dropping Weight From Your Dental Kit – Ideas Shared

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Just thought I'd post this here to perhaps give some people some ideas for how to drop some additional weight from their gear. Here's how I cut my Dental Kit weight in half:

– Smaller lighter containment bag
    – Slightly smaller tooth powder container
    – Less tooth powder (had been carrying far too much, and probably still am at nearly 1/2 the amount…I think there's enough there to brush at least 6 times)
    – Remove case from mini floss
    – Eliminated ZPacks toothbrush case
    – Turned the mini floss case into a new 1/2 weight toothbrush bristle guard
    – Left my Q-Tips in…because I really appreciate clean feeling hears when I wash my face at the end of the day …and I have plugs…so they help in cleaning off my plugs

Old Kit

New Kit

New Kit Packed

New Case

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I don't use tooth powder or paste when backpacking. My dentist assured me that it wasn't an necessary part of dental hygiene…..especially for only a few days.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Daryl

Understood…I realize this, but sometimes it's the little things that can bring you happiness on the trail. While I have no problem getting stinky and dirty on the trail, it sure feels outstanding when you can get cleaned up occasionally. Especially on long trips. And at 0.7oz for the whole kit…not bad if you ask me. I think it drops to 0.5oz without the Q-Tips. The tooth powder comes in at 0.1-0.2oz in the little bottle.

HTH

KJ

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Ken,

Thanks for your ideas. I've gone to a mini-brush:

Mini tooth brush

and I prefer the floss-in-a-holder rather than loose floss:

Flossers

But there is a certain luxury to having a full-handled tooth brush. And it keeps your fingers out of your mouth. Your two-part handle gave me an idea. Use the front half of a regular toothbrush, and the front half of a full-handled flosser. Carve your joint into each. Together, you'd get a long handle for both tasks.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Maybe this belongs under philosophy, but the biggest boost to my dental hygiene comes from flossing and brushing on the trail. At the sink at home or in a campsite, I'm often rushing around and finish in 20 seconds what I should take 2 minutes to do. But if I floss and brush while driving or hiking, I take my time with it, do it much longer and more thoroughly, and pat myself on the back for efficiently multi-tasking. A bigger factor on death marches (30-40-50 miles in a day) is to eat and drink while hiking, but every little bit helps.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I like long handles on my floss and tooth brush. Easier to do a better job and very important: keep your fingers out of your mouth… Very hard to have good hygiene on the trail even without my fingers in my mouth. Dirty fingers can have fecal matter or even giardia cysts… very hard to clean up the fingers (and under the finger nails) out there in the wild. I'd rather carry the few grams extra than get sick.

B

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

My dental kit is at 2.5oz… unfortunately, being an old geezer, I need to take some additional tools: interdental brush, tuft brush, etc.

My list:
    full handled tooth brush
    small container of baking soda
    floss and container (need the cutter on the container)
    long handled floss holder
    tuft brush (for getting behind the back teeth)
    interdental brush and holder
    extra interdental brushes as they break
    bag: Sea to Summit light weight mesh bag so things will dry out…

Bill

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Bill, you make a very good point about keeping fingers out of the mouth while brushing. That occurred to me recently, too. I have a tiny brush and I'm considering getting one with a longer handle.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I found some cheap and light products on minimus.biz that have worked well for me. Like the 4" toothbrush for 12-cents each (http://www.minimus.biz/Generic-High-Visibility-Orange-30-Tuft-Toothbrush-4-C01-0459907-1000.aspx) and individual toothpaste in foil for overnights.

When I was in Japan last year, every hotel I stayed in provided these amazingly light toothbrush (with a very long handle) and teeny tubes of toothpaste. Good stuff! I diligently pocketed them every night… came home with a dozen of them! :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools