Topic

“Free” gear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear “Free” gear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Conly
    BPL Member

@conly

Locale: Lots of canoeing and snow

I think one of my favorite things about making my own gear is the ‘free’ stuff I can make with the leftover scraps from bigger projects. So far I have made two bomber hats, insulated mitts, vapor barrier mitts and socks, five stuff sacks, and a pole linker for a pyramid tent, all from leftovers and an old backpack. I’m curious to know what other freebies people have made.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

A cat food alcohol stove comes to mind…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

My latest find is re-using bottles. Not a new idea here, but only recently did I consider that a free item could be better than the Platypus'(Platypii?) I paid high prices for.

The p.e.t.(polyethylene terephthalate) type designed for pressurized liquids are built stronger than non-pressurized bottles, and so, will last for dozens of usages. You can identify these 'rocket' bottles by the five pressure resistant flanges on the bottom; reminiscent of the bottom of an Apollo rocket. I like the one shown for Mitsuya Cider (34 grams in 500ml) because of its short and simple cylindrical shape.
    I use various small sizes to carry alcohol for my stoves, down as small as 135ml.
    These can not handle boiling liquids, but the next item can..

Re-using aluminum water bottles make an economical and dual-purpose water container because you can boil the water IN your carry bottle. 25 grams in 500ml for the one shown. One of these, an esbit and tray, and windscreen is a very light pot.

Either one are only slightly heavier than Platypus bottles, and unlike those floppy bottles, these can slide into pack side-pockets easily while only grasping the tops.

Having more than one water bottle allows for the safety of redundancy. It's unlikely more than one would rupture, even if your pack goes over a cliff. Three 500ml bottles allows for a system of 1:drinkable now, 2:for cooking(untreated), 3:treatting now with Micropur.

Other free items; can stoves, rubber bands replacing stuff sacks, bamboo hiking staff (280g).
    pet and aluminum bottles

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

I also like the re-use of alluminum bottles. The "Snapple" energy drink bottle is a good example. I used a can from some canned chiken to make the stove that you see in the photo. The aluminum bottle sits right in the center of the stove on the very bottom of the can. The flames heat only the sides of the bottle/pot. Water can be carried in the bottle and can also be heated in same.The blue container along side the "Snapple" is a Brunton water flask being heated in the same style stove as the "Snapple" example.snapple stove

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

This is a fun topic!

-a lot of stoves
    -windscreens
    -pot stands
    -stuff sacks
    -trowel
    -fleece hat and mittens
    -hydration systems
    -Hasty Hooch tarp
    -pot cozys
    -gaiters
    -freezer-bag cozy
    -tents stakes
    -primer pans
    -lids for cookware
    -pot grabbers
    -fire starters
    -beer-can pots
    -waterproof match cases

etc. I'm sure I've made a lot of other "freebies" but can't remember them now. You're right…it's great to get "free" gear this way!

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

I've just made a fishing rod extension thingy. It allows the 3-foot tip of my fishing rod (30g) to be pushed securely into the top of my hiking pole, which doubles as a tent pole. The push-fit attachment is made from a used plastic sewing reel – cost £0, weight 5g.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

That gives me the idea to use my doubled tent pole as a Huck Fin fixed line pole.

George Balfour

@munroman

Locale: Scotland

My latest discovery are those small (approx 6" x 4.5") drawstring mesh sacks that come along with tablets of clothes washing detergent.

They come with big clunky cordlocks and heavy cord – but of course I replace that with lightweight stuff!

Beware tho' – not all powders use the same type of sack – some use much heavier sacks with nylon reinforcement panels! They weigh about 3g more!!!

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

stuff sacks, of course.
    a nut tool from a bike wrench (a cone-style wrench for 1 piece crank adjusting) that is heavy, but really tough and 1.5 inches longer than commercial nut tools
    an insulated hood with 1.2" of Primaloft. I oversized a single layer hood pattern and it worked. it is full coverage with a short zipper up front.
    insulated mittens – primaloft back, thick fleece palm, dyneema gridstop palm shell, 1.1oz teflon dwr back shell
    P3d booties that aren't very good…
    silnylon vapor barrier liners
    breathable 1.1oz bug socks (tongueless shoes and liner socks = no bug protection)
    chalk bag

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

From photo processing labs (not digital…) you can get those film containers for storing small items (first aid stuff), some use them for spices or sugar/coffee for an overnighter ( warning if you use them for food for more than 127 years , they will kill you)
    Also you can get there some beefy rubber bands, used as a strap on the waterproof single use cameras.
    Franco

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

"Film", what's that?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools