Topic

Where to go in Arkansas or Oklahoma over Thanksgiving?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I live in Houston. I'd like to get anywhere where there is some decent elevation/scenery that is within, say 7-8 hrs drive of here. I've been to the Texas Hill country quite a bit (Lost Maples, Enchanted Rock, etc.), and farther west to Big Bend / Guadalupe Mtns but that's a bit far for a 3-4 day trip.

I've never been to Arkansas or Oklahoma but have heard good things about the Ouchita and Ozark Mountains. Thoughts? I'd like to do a little backpacking with my wife and 3 yr old daughter, and car camping. Also, I'd like to do some fly fishing with my new Tenkara USA rod. Do they have trout up there?

PostedNov 21, 2013 at 4:42 am

The OT is really nice with several ways to put together mileage. The OT and its branch trails all cross roads every 8-10 miles or more.
There's good water on the OK side of the trail right now.

PostedNov 21, 2013 at 4:50 am

There's a good trip report on BackpackingArkansas.com…a friend just finished Sect.1&2 from Queen WSP to Talihina SP.

Ben C BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 7:19 am

The Buffalo and White Rivers of Arkansas Ozarks are full of trout.

PostedNov 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Any specific camping areas you have in mind that are kid-friendly, yet not too heavily overused?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...