Topic

Down booties

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I'm looking for something to wear around camp when I do occasional overnights. The temperatures would be 5+ degrees.

I've compared:

1) FF down booties – $89, 9.3 oz
2) GooseFeet (including over-bootie)- $110, 3.9 oz
3) WM Flash bootie – $65, 3 oz
4) WM down dootie – $85, 6 oz
5) WM Expedition down bootie – $110, 8 oz

There's no place locally to see and handle any of these so it will be an internet-driven purchase.

In some respects, the simplicity of the WM Flash Bootie is attractive. The cheapest and lightest. My instincts tell me to select either the GF or FF down bootie.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Wolf’s Rain BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

This question was asked recently and I think the consensus was the Feathered Friends booties. It was mainly due to the fact that the shell can be removed. This allows you to wear them in camp but then remove the outer so that you can use them inside your bag without worrying about dirt. It would be my first choice and I plan on picking up a pair in the next week or so.

PostedNov 20, 2013 at 5:02 pm

I purchased a pair of down booties from Arrowhead Equipment 2 yrs ago & have been very pleased. They are extremely warm and weigh 3 oz with overstuff. My 2 cents!

John Vance BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I have had pair of the FF booties for 15 or 20 years and have really enjoyed them when winter camping. Don't know how much they have changed over the years but they have a fairly substantial sole and insole – perfect for walking around once you get the snow packed down around camp. Great value.

Mark Verber BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I have a pair of goose feet and really like them. Water resistant down is now the fill. Like the FF, they have the option of an over shell which are removal. I did the beefie ToughTek overshells which give a lot more traction than they typical nylon shells.

–Mark

PostedNov 20, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I have the overbooties too. Wear them all the time to sleep, unless it's the height of summer. Super soft n comfy!!

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Which bootie mentioned or listed above would be the warmest?

PostedNov 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I just got a pair of the FF booties. Awesome product. I really like that the inner down boot can be for tent use only and the outer bootie for walking around. The outer bootie is at least marginally rugged and can be easily washed.

Andy Duncan BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 5:01 am

I have the Goose Feet down booties and the over-booties with dyneema on the bottom. They are warm enough to walk around in the snow, I've even stepped through the top layer of snow and down several feet and stayed warm and dry. The over bootie shells come with two sets of foam inserts made of different thicknesses for various conditions. In the shoulder season when it gets cold but there is no snow I just wear the booties. Without the shells they are by far the lightest option (2.2 ozs) and durable enough to walk around camp.

Kattt BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 5:11 am

Another one for a Feathered Friends here.

PostedNov 21, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Another vote for the GFG down socks and the overbooties. As mentioned, the socks can be worn inside a tent, all clean & warm, and then for a pee break, or camp chores, slip the overbooties on. The nice thing about going with GFG is that you can choose what materials you want the socks made from, and more importantly, how much down you want in them. Nothing wrong with the others mentioned, but being able to choose the materials and amount of down fill is a great option to really get what you want rather than settling for a stock version… unless the stock version is what you want.

GooseFeet Gear Down Socks & Over Booties

BPLwiia BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 7:08 pm

All were excellent suggestions and insights and are appreciated. I just placed an order for the FF booties.

Derek Weeks BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I just got my Goose Feet down socks and the over-booties and I have to say they are just awesome! And Ben from GFG is great to work with…! My socks with 50% over fill weight 2.2 oz and the booties 2 oz size M

YOU CANT GO WRONG ORDERING FROM BEN AT GOOSEFEET GEAR :-)

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Why is it when I try to get on the site http://www.goosefeetgear.com it says certificate error? Mismatched address, Not recomended to click on this site? Does anyone else get this message hilighted in red?

PostedNov 25, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hi Joe,

That usually means a mis-configured SSL certificate configuration and/or web alias on the web site.

The'll probably figure it out and fix shortly.

Try goosefeetgear.com without the www.
Who types www anymore anyway. That's so old school:-)

dirtbag BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2013 at 5:01 pm

naahh..still not working..darnit. Hope they fix it soon so I can order. its been like this for a few days now..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Loading...