Topic

What scale should I buy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What scale should I buy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    John Herrin
    BPL Member

@jherrin

Locale: Mid West

I am looking to cut my pack weight. Anyone out there have a suggestion on what reasonably priced scale (that weighs in ounces)I should consider?

Thanks,
    John

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

less than $10 from ebay or amazon, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-AWS-1KG-BLK-Signature-Digital/dp/B002SC3LLS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384973515&sr=8-5&keywords=digital+scale

it doesn't say it measures ounces but on the cover it says to push "mode" button to switch between units, so I assume that includes ounces

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've been using an AWS PS-25KG. Works great.

Things to look for:

A mode that reads plain ounces vs pounds and ounces. They will all do metric. Why can't we just go metric?

A lock button, so you can reach under and lock in the weigh on a large object that obscures the readout.

35 pound capacity. That usually means a bigger platform than the 5lb models too. Once you have one, you'll use it for other stuff. You can print postage for packages at home and won't have to stand in line at the post office :)

I prefer AA batteries over 9 volts.

Most have auto-off, but check that or you'll be buying more batteries.

Cookie sheets are handy for big items. A plastic grocery bag is good for puffy stuff.

If anyone wants a gram splitter, I have an Ohaus triple beam scale :) Gravity powered, never needs batteries.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

"Why can't we just go metric?"

Really!!!

Let's just get the pain over

Sort of like ripping a bandaid off quickly

Sometimes I take a clothes hanger and place the hanger end on the scale and zero it, then put a piece of clothing on the hanger and weigh it

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

OK you've got good advice up there but, I can't help the following thought: If you don't care about accuracy and you only want to know if an item is lighter relative to another then get the cheapest thing you find. :D

The corollary is that if it's too cheap then it won't be consistent from one day to the next. My Uber-Cheap spring powered one is like that. I used to weigh all items on the same day to get consistent (if not accurate) readings. LOL

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hi John, since you're on a budget, personally I'd say don't bother with a scale. You can pretty easily cut your pack weight with common sense and listed weights on items you're trying to lighten up. I know, I'm a heretic, but that's how I did it – never used a scale as a way to lighten up my load, though I'd use a bathroom scale to see how much I lightened it after awhile by wearing my packed pack and weighing myself.

But if you really, really think you need a scale, then any Salter kitchen scale from Target will work just fine, and shouldn't be that expensive.

Adam G
    BPL Member

@adamg

I purchased this scale for $3.

I don't know how accurate it is, but when I've measured items over several days, it's usually exactly the same or +/- 5 grams.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

measuring in ounces is not good enough.

you need a scale that is accurate to at least 0.5 gram.

save 28.375 grams and you've saved a whole ounce.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

If you're measuring down for each baffle, maybe you need 0.01 oz or 0.1 g accuracy. Maybe 12 baffles with 4 ounces of down, so 0.3 oz per baffle. 0.1 oz accuracy not enough. 0.01 oz is good enough.

If you're just reducing pack weight, 0.1 oz or 1 g is plenty accurate. If you have 100 items in your pack and each one is measured with 0.1 oz error, that would add up to 10 oz total which probably wouldn't be noticeable.

Playing fast and loose with the term "accuracy" and how errors add : )

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

C'mon, guys. These digital postal scales are very consistent and weigh to 0.1oz, which is more than enough for weighing gear list items.

The one I posted is like $18 on Amazon.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I have a little jewelers scale, mostly because it was a couple dollars in a thrift store. It is illuminating to see the shameless manufacturing variations in titanium tent stakes ;)

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

I use THIS.

I wanted something that would hold larger or bulky items more conveniently, so the bowl feature has been super useful. I also preferred the 11lb max to some of the smaller scales mentioned here. Ounces or grams. When reweighing items at different times it has consistently shown the same weight. It has also come in use for the kitchen or for weighing mail to send out. Price was right for me at $10.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I suppose there are any number of acceptable scales out there, but this is what I use. I like the 0.1g resolution (more than enough for me) and the Tare works well.

Cheap too.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have two scales.

One, a kitchen scale was about $15, and goes to 11 lbs in 0.1 oz increments. Came from harbor freight. You can always find a 20% off coupon online for harbor freight.

The little one (gets used the most) goes to about 500g in oz, g, or other, and is displayed to 0.01g. It was $7 at harbor freight when I bought it 10 yr ago. They are about 12 now. But less with a coupon. I HIGHLY recommend this little scale, its fantastic and fits in your pocket. Very repeatable.

I have been known to take it shopping with me.

If you screw it up somehow, it requires a 500g wt to recalibrate, which isnt common, or cheap. That happened to me once. I filled a water bottle to weigh 500g on another scale. Problem solved.

scale

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If you screw it up somehow, it requires a 500g wt to recalibrate, which isnt common, or cheap."

When I bought the same scale and read the same requirement, I built my own 500g calibration weight out of some old lead fishing weights. Interestingly, the first scale died within a matter of months, so it was replaced at Harbor Freight with an identical one, and the 500g still weighed 500.

–B.G.–

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I'm with Dale on this — relax, have a home brew. Generally speaking, your scale doesn't have to be that accurate. Within a tenth of an ounce (or a few grams) is fine, and just about every scale out there is better than that. If it isn't, then it is probably not very sturdy, or doesn't have the features you want, so you don't want it anyway.

Personally, I have a couple scales. One is for luggage, and the other is for my gear. The luggage scale is handy for answering the "So what does your pack weigh?" question. In general, I don't care, but I weigh it on the way out the door (which means it has food in it) and I always forget to weigh my pack after a trip. I carry what I consider to the best compromise for me — I'm really not trying to win an ultralight competition here. But my friends always ask, so it is nice to have an answer for them.

For a gear scale, a difference of a few grams isn't going to change your decision making. The breakthrough comes when you weigh something and compare it alternatives. I can't imagine exchanging something for something else (or leaving it at home) if it weighs 16 grams versus 17.

I can see why Dale bought one scale to do it all. It is handier than my scale, which was probably only a few cents cheaper. Mine can only handle around five pounds at the most. Generally speaking, that isn't a problem for ultralight hiking, but it limits the overall usability of the scale.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I wrote some articles about ultralightweight backpacking back in the 1980's. The general advice that I suggested was to have three scales (back then). One was a postal scale, and it would weigh in fractions of an ounce up to one pound. Then the second was a baby scale, and it would weigh in two-ounce increments up to 30 pounds. Lastly, an ordinary bathroom scale, and it weighed in one-pound increments up to 250 pounds. All of these were analog spring-style scales, because that is almost all that we had back then.

Since there weren't too many small gear alternatives that kept us using the postal scale, most of the pack weighing used the baby scale. Our total loads tended to be 14-19 pounds.

With most of the digital scales we see now, one small digital scale and one large digital bathroom scale is about all you need.

–B.G.–

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools