Topic

Advice on my relaxed pace Yosemite 2014 trip

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Jim H BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:52 am

I'd like to plan and execute a week-long trip for myself, my dad, and my brother for late summer 2014. My dad really wants to see some of the high sierra in Yosemite but has been having trouble hiking long days since a surgery last year. So, I tried to come up with an itinerary that he could handle and allow for up to 2 rest/side trip days.

Here's the draft itinerary I've done up in CalTopo (http://www.caltopo.com/map?id=4Q26/). Route would be Agnew Meadows>Thousand Island Lake>Lyell Canyon>Vogelsang HSC>Merced Lake HSC>Little Yosemite Valley.

It looks like I should plan on reserving my permit 6 months in advance for the Shadow Creek/Agnew TH in Inyo National Forest, and this permit will be good for Yosemite as well, meaning I don't need two permits, correct?

Any experience with the high sierra camps? It looks like there's a lottery even for the "meals only" option (hot dinner and breakfast). Not sure it's worth the food weight savings to deal with the lottery or having the mule train pack in a resupply for you. I know Tuolumne Meadows is a resupply option, but I've done that northern half of Lyell Canyon and the Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise HSC enough times that I'd rather not duplicate it on this trip.

Sort of just thinking-out-loud and wondering if anyone has any general tips for this route. Thanks.

PostedNov 24, 2013 at 9:20 am

Mammoth to Yosemite Valley is a classic route and indeed very scenic!

If you wanted to slow down the pace and enjoy more time exploring this fabulous high country you could do just the section Mammoth to Tuolumne. The Minarets, Banner and Ritter are a fantastic backdrop and there are some lovely lakes including Ediza, Iceberg, Nydiver, Thousand Island, Garnet, Davis and Marie. Enjoy!

PostedNov 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

Yes, your entry permit into INYO should be all you need for the entire trip, including the Yosemite part.

Bill D.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Loading...