Topic

Bug Bivies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bug Bivies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

In the market for a Bug Bivy for use under a tarp. I've used a MLD SL Bivy Full Head Net previously but do not need the extra protection from spray/splatter during the summer months here in SoCal…..and like the idea of increased ventilation.

Upon searching, I've come across the following:
    Titanium Goat Bug Bivy. 5.5oz, appears to have a higher bathtub floor.
    Borah Gear Bug Bivy. 6oz

If anyone has used either one or both (or an alternative), I'd appreciate any information (pro's / con's – what you liked or disliked) about the product.

Thanks

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Borah. I found the 24" zipper way too short for trying to get in or out of quickly. In a tent/shelter, it takes enough time to slip in my liner, get arrranged proper. Otherwise, very nice. I sent it back with no problems. Decided I liked a tent better for more bug protection, but I am debating on getting a much roomier bivy with a long zipper and a tarp like you, but it all adds up to more weight than a ZPacks Hexamid tent, but the nice thing is, lower cost. I'd like to try a tarp that stakes down on the ground, making for a smaller staked footprint. I've been looking at bug netting, but it all adds up to more weight than the Hex. A bivy for cowboy camping would be nice, just more gear to spend money on. It would save weight for snow camping also. What do I want more?
    Duane

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

What type of tarp?

If in A-frame, I would use none but the MLD. It's top entry allows to loosen the "suspension" cord(s) and drop it to the ground for easy entry via the top. You can literally sit on it and work your way inside easily, then tighten the cord(s).

Nothing against the Borah or others of its type, but in A-frame mode I hate crawling, getting muddy, and brushing against wet walls any more than I have to, and you can't help it with standard design bivies.

Also consider the SMD Serenity – my favorite because I can sit up to change clothes, and a big SIDE entry – much easier if you have a side entry tarp, although the MLD would be easy.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Chris, I had the Borah Bug Bivy and really liked it. I am 6', 245 lbs so I bought it in the long/wide and really loved the roominess of it. I sold it when I sold my Trailstar and regret both decisions and wished I was still using both. My only suggestion for you is to get one with a good bathtub if using under a tarp. If not for the protection from spray then for the shield from dirt via blowing dust, etc.

Matt Weaver
    Spectator

@norcalweaver

Locale: PacNW

Another vote for Borah Gear bivys (with side zip). I'm a quilt user so I actually sold my bug bivy in favor of a regular bivy from BG, I was getting a lot of drafts and wind blown through the bug bivy under my hexamid which was my primary reason for selling it. If I didn't live and hike in a relatively windy area I would have continued to use the bug bivy from BG. Nice, simple, customizable, and a great price point.

Michael Ray
    Spectator

@thaddeussmith

I ordered a Yama bug shelter 1.25 with an extra zipper along the ridge line. This allows me to pitch it taught as a regular bug tent in fair weather or loosely under a tarp in rainy weather like the MLD bug bivy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools