Topic

‘Ill-equipped’ hikers plucked by helicopter from North Shore mountains

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
James holden BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 1:08 am

this one is fairly relevant to the recent posts about cell phone co-ordinates being possibly inaccurate …

more at links …

https://www.facebook.com/NorthShoreRescue

But the cell co-ordinates the duo gave were inaccurate and searchers scrambled to find them. Eventually, members of North Shore’s Helicopter External Transport Team located the hikers and pulled them out of the park on a long line.

The North Shore statement said the pair were “totally ill equipped” for the situation and risked hypothermia or worse had they not brought their phone. It said the two had not told others where they intended to hike that day.

http://tinyurl.com/ljqqgxo

Tim Jones with NSR says the young couple had very little survival gear. “The girl, when we actually rescued her, was mildly hypothermic. The male was also getting that way. They would have had serious problems during the night, it would have been very difficult, if they didn’t have a cell phone, to find them.”

He says this was a true life-saving rescue. “The cell phone proved its value, but, the coordinates we were given put them about 2 km away from where they were. They were completely inaccurate coordinates and it took us some time to actually find them.”

http://www.news1130.com/2013/11/19/two-hikers-rescued-in-north-vancouver/

“It would’ve been a full alpine climbing expedition,” he said. “They were nowhere near equipped for that, they had no ropes or ice axes or anything that would have aided them in doing what they attempted to do.”
Jones said the couple clearly understood the danger they put themselves into after the fact – but because they may not have been familiar with the terrain, they didn’t know what they were getting into when embarking on the gruelling hike.
The young couple said they learned a tough lesson and will be better prepared – like bringing a sleeping bag and GPS – the next time they set out on a difficult trail.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/couple-rescued-by-helicopter-after-north-shore-hike-goes-awry-1.1551020

Steve Meier BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 8:48 am

I remember coming down from Flatop Mountain, a 14'er in RMNP, and passing people in shorts and a t-shirt carrying only a water bottle in early afternoon. I was watching the clock to be sure we were below tree line before the storms hit (and they did-in fact we got hail) and folks were going up, completely unaware of the danger they were putting themselves in. Most were 20-somethings. At the time I didn't say anything because I was relatively new to hiking and my first foray above tree line but today I would stop and talk to them and warn them. I still doubt most would listen. But c'mon people, do some research before taking that kind of hike!

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

I see it every time I go out. Cotton sweats, flip flops, no water, just walking up the trail barehanded without a clue.

Darwin looks over the top of his newspaper and shrugs…..

Eli Zabielski BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:03 am

Flattop is not even close to being a 14er. It's 12,300' and change. The only 14er in RMNP (and only 14er North of I-70) is Longs Peak. Speaking of "doing research…"

I wonder if you mean Longs Peak, since it has a very flat top (one of the largest summit plateaus on a 14er), and that makes you confuse it with neighboring Flattop Mountain?

PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:17 am

It was, no doubt, the guy's fault… for not wanting to stop for directions :)

Bill D.

Andy Stow BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 10:05 am

We did a long day hike where we bagged Flat Top, Hallett, Otis, and Taylor, with daypacks only, and as we were hiking down in the afternoon with ponchos already on due to a pretty hard drizzle, sounds of thunder in the background, sure enough passed a couple of guys going up with no packs at all, in shorts and t-shirts.

And no, none of those are fourteeners. I think one is over thirteen.

Steve Meier BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 11:58 am

Yep, getting my mountains confused. We were on Flat Top in RMNP when we saw folks going up unprepared. Forgot it wasn't a 14'er but still was a big one for me, as I was new to hiking at the time. Great loop!

Hiking Malto BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of folks that saw me out trail running the Huntington/Tuckermans Ravine Loop last August. I had a small fanny pack and was running with shorts and no shirt. I am sure all the backpackers with the enormous lumbering packs mumbled about that unprepared idiot and instant felt better about their load. But appearances can be deceiving. I was fully prepared with multiple bail out points. Could there have been an injury that caused a problem? Sure. The the chance of getting injured reduced because of my spartan gear. Absolutely.

James holden BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 1:06 pm

here is where the couple was rescued … as you can see having technical gear is probably recommended at this point ….

NSR also commented …

They were only prepared for a day hike and chose this very complex route to take to Coliseum Mtn. They became completely turned around near the middle Needle and then called for help. NSR scrambled quickly with Talon helicopters but it took almost 30 minutes to find the subjects as the coordinates they gave were not accurate and it was difficult to spot them. Due to fading light , fuel and developing marine fog in Lynn Creek all rigging was done hot to save precious minutes. This couple were truly at risk and the young female was already mildly hypothermic. It is a collective observation by senior members of NSR that if this couple had not been able to get out on their cel , with the fact they had told no one where they were going, were completely ill prepared for an emergency bivy and had taken a bus to the trail head, most likely they would have been severely hypothermic by early am or worse.

http://www.northshorerescue.com/2013/11/20/life-saving-helicopter-rescue-in-remote-needles/

as to bale out points … IMO there are 2 types of "rescues"

– where the person gets lost/tired/etc … and have the physical ability, but perhaps not the mental one … to self evacuate

– where a person is physically unable to self-evacuate …

in the latter, for example if you broke an ankle … it doesnt matter how many bail options you have … youre sitting tight, perhaps for the night … and getting rescued

Dena Kelley BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I'm looking at that photo and all I can think is how the hell did they even get to that point with no gear? Wow.

PostedNov 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Malto, I'd love to see what you had in your pack and what type of pack it was. I do a lot of BC travel in my tiny hip pack and am always looking to improve. I'd also like your opinion on how it carried.Izula

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Ali! I don't recall seeing you here in ages!

I think you can use many available hip/lumbar packs for day hikes. Most of my essentials fit in a sub-1 liter stuff sack.

I've though about using a two bottle hydration-style lumbar pack with water in one bottle and a light metal bottle or can in the other holster to have a boiler and fill that with emergency supplies. Many two-bottle packs have a small bag between for more storage.

A small hydration backpack can be used in a similar way. An insulation layer is the the space eater. An 18 liter backpack is more than enough for UL equipment.

The goal is to have enough stuff to improvise shelter, make fire, signal for aid, navigate, perform basic first aid, and carry snacks and water.

Really compact kits are a fun exercise. There is a whole tradition of Altoid tin personal survival kits (PSK). It is amazing to see what some people have managed to fit into one. The game is really one of seeing what you can do with a given amount of space, not unlike a sub 5-pound gear list.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...