Topic

Bear bag line options

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Phillip Asby BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 11:22 am

This past weekend my son and I went backpacking on the AT with his Scout troop – SR625 up the trail to the Chestnut Knob shelter near Wytheville, VA (Beartown Wilderness). Great hike and the 4.5 miles or so all uphill challenged everyone including the older Scouts (and pretty proud of my son who was the youngest Scout to tackle this trip).

anyway – all the trees on the ridgeline were pretty wet/soft and had significant moss/fungus due to the climate and frequent position in fog/clouds. I was using PMI 3mm utility line from REI which has proven to be sturdy and light and compact. Until this trip where eventually I had to abandon that line as it had gotten so embedded and cut into the bark/fungus it was immovable (some user error did not help – won't go into that…). Anyway I ended up tying onto my sons 550 line which slid a good bit better over the branches. I typically use a small bag as my "throw" bag with some rocks or weight in it (also serves as the storage bag for the rope and carabine) and a PCT hang.

I would like a smaller and lighter line, but ideally one that is less susceptible to this kind of cutting in softer branches. Is there better line, or a technique I should have employed?

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

After fooling around with various lightweight bear bag line options I now take 60' of 550 standard military paracord. It weights about 3.5 oz but I've found that:

*It rarely gets stuck, doesn't cut into bark and slides pretty well over most limbs.

*If it gets stuck in a tree or needs to be cut, I don't care because it's cheap

*It doubles as emergency rope

*After a season I have no guilt or regrets about tossing it. This is after lots of pine sap, abrasions, dirt, etc. Easy to replace from many local sources.

-Tom

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Check out Lawson Equipment, his Glowire is amazing. He just restocked them in 50 and 100' sections. They come in blaze orange, green, and black. They are incredibly bright (orange especially… Looks like it's glowing even in daylight. Miles brighter than triptease) day or night (all colors have two 3M reflective tracers), hold a knot well, and glides over branches. Plus, all his stuff is made in the USA.

***Edit***
As Scott said, Ironwire is great; I have both. Now that I think of it, it's Ironwire that I use for bear bagging, and Glowire for everything else (tent lines, guylines, pack compression straps, tying my OutSak critter bag to a tree/low branch when not worried about bears, misc).

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I really like the Lawson Ironwire for bear bagging. Unlike the glowire, the Ironwire has a smooth coating that allows it to slide over rough bark without snagging or digging into the bark and getting stuck.

The glowire is what I use for my tarp guylines, but the rough texture is less than ideal for bear bagging.

Ryan Smith BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Something like IronWire is what you are looking for. The polyester sheath on Triptease, Glowire, etc is what digs into the bark so easily. Really helps with holding knots, but can be very difficult to pull out of a tree.

Ryan

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

It appears all the ironwire is out of stock. It would be nice if Lawson could chime in and let us know if he intends on getting more or if he is out of stock forever. ;-)

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I use the Lawson Iron Wire for my bear bag line and love the way it slips through almost everything.
Also consider Zing-it. It is what the arborists use and is also very slick and the 1.7 version is maybe a little lighter, but being thinner may make for slightly more snags.

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Philip,
"Is there better line, or a technique I should have employed?"

One consideration is to use a small good quality pulley or a carabiner.

It requires more cord, one to hang the pulley, and one to hang the food.
But you won't be cutting into limbs, and it makes it Much easier to haul up food.

R Banks BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 8:50 pm

I would use something like lash it or zing it.

Comes in 1.75mm or 2.2mm. Basically just dyneema line with a very slick coating. It's used by arborists's so it's meant to be thrown over tree limbs. It's basically the same thing as ironwire.

EDIT: Steven beat me to it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...