Topic

Thoughts on a lightweight crampon bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Thoughts on a lightweight crampon bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

I made the mistake of purchasing an Osprey crampon bag and only after receiving the package did the weight dawn on me. 11oz. 11oz for a 3L bag with all the attachment and sub-pocket thrills I have come to expect from Osprey. So here's what I came up with while mulling my situation:

1. Crampons placed point-to-point and wrapped in standard camp towel or spare t-shirt. Purpose being to lessen the protrusion of the spikes.

2. Place roll/wrap into an appropriately sized Tyvek stuff sack. Tyvek has a resistance to tearing and puncture – it's why we use it as a ground sheet – and the added padding from the towel/shirt should prevent most damage.

3. Use Tyvek tape to attach small strips of Tyvek to the outside corners as lash points. Attach cinch cord to top for a secure closure.

I've yet to make this but I have a spare groundsheet handy and a Home Depot just down the road. Has anyone tried this or have cutting patterns for a small (2-L) Tyvek pouch?

edvin mellergĂĄrd
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Depending on what pair of crampons you have you can use an old soda bottle, cut of the top and slide the crampons in with the front points first. Doesnt work with all crampons, some are simply to big to fit the normal bottle sizes.

Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

I saw that but figured a rigid bottle was going to be too clumsy even on the outside of the pack. I have the Petzl Vasak 12pt, btw

edvin mellergĂĄrd
    BPL Member

@edvin

Yeah, it's quite big compared to a soft bag but not that bad. It looks bigger than it actually is. Personally my crampons almost never goes in a bag, especially not if they go on the outside.

But I'm mostly mixed climbing, scottish style, these days so my crampons are pretty dull anyway.

Steve P
    BPL Member

@swillhiker-2

I've used a tyvek mailing envelope for my crampons and microspikes for some time and it has worked very well. I just slip them in, roll it, and tie it off. Just an idea….

0.4 oz, BTW

***EDITED TO ADD WEIGHT***

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Mitch…
    I've backpacked with crampons from time to time over several decades and have never wrapped them or put them inside my pack. I lash them to the outside of my pack with both having their points sticking out, away from the pack. Have never had a problem with that. Of course, you need to be a bit careful where you lash them and how you swing your pack around. Sometimes I have also used 'point protectors'… rubbery things that slip over the points… but mostly I don't feel they are necessary.

I use the point protectors or crampon bag in the car and at home, but not when they're on my pack…

Billy

marcus hampton

@thecritter

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There's an ultralight technique for carrying crampons to minimize risk of injury or damage to gear. I made a video on it. Here's the link.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

Mine go on and off my pack, feet, and harness. I compress them, points in, wrap the ankle straps tightly around them, and now they're a compact little package. They're fine. I haven't ruined any of my gear yet.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I just stack them together so the pointed sides face each other. Then I wrap the straps around the whole mess so they don't come apart. Then I stash them under a convenient compression strap.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I do have a locally made crampon bag that is a tight fit and only 129gr. (4.5oz). I like that I can put my crampons inside my pack, and snowshoes outside on the back. Both of them would be doable but I like this set up a bit better.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I just stack them together so the pointed sides face each other. Then I wrap the straps around the whole mess so they don't come apart."

That's what I've done for the last 35 years.

–B.G.–

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

I use the soda-bottle trick with KTS or one of these with my more aggressive spikes:

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Winter-Climbing-Equipment/Crampons/Crampon-Accessories/Crampon-Bag-CLT-CRAMPBAG#.UwRrW_l_t5I

Whether or not you can get them in the US…..

edvin mellergĂĄrd
    BPL Member

@edvin

Here's my "updated" recommendation, a simple 500D cordura drawstring bag. I made two of these at the beginning of this season, weight 40 grams.

I can just fit my standard ice rack in them, 11 BD icescrews and 3 Grivel 360. Grivel Helix or similar screws would not fit so good thanks to their large handle and hanger.

My crampons(Petzl Lynx) fit with a bit of room left over, I can get a couple of icescrews in there aswell if I'm only bringing a few with me.

cramponbag1

scramponbag2

These work really well, the cordura is strong enough to withstand the crampons(atleast my slightly dull ones!) and it's really convenient to just chuck all the icescrew tip protectors in the bag while I'm climbing

YAMABUSHI !
    BPL Member

@thunderhorse

Crampon Case

1.7 OZ

Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

Hey Edvin, that's a great little bag! I was about to ask if you'd make me one when I found this: http://www.skywall-clothing.de/EN/Gear/Gear.php although it's a little hassle having to xfer money to his bank without a PayPal or ecommerce cart system. Anyways, kudos for that idea; I'm going to try that. May I recommend sharpening those points in the meantime? :) Seems a little dull for ice

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

edvin mellergĂĄrd
    BPL Member

@edvin

Great mind think alike I guess :) Got a few left over in case somebody wants one. Black in 500d Cordura or yellow, blue or gray-greenish in 420d packcloth. 10.5 Euro including international shipping.

btw. the crampons are sharper now :)

kristen buckland
    Spectator

@buckie06

Locale: Colorado

can you post when you receive that skywall bag? I'm a little hesitant to buy from that website

thanks.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I received the bag promptly within a week of ordering them. So far I have taken them on couple of trips and they seem to be holding okay.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools