Topic

??? rain gear gaiters / leggings / chaps for Frogg Togg shorts or similar

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

Something the fits under the shorts so the water runs over them and not into them. They also need to be easy to put on and take off.

Assuming that breath-ability of fabric would be of less importance, especially with venting at the top, strength and economy would take precedent after of course being reasonably waterproof and light.

I have some basic novice ideas that should work, however…novice.
How would you do it and what fabric(S) would you use? Thank you.

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I *think* I know what you're asking…but if I have it wrong, just ignore!

You might try to make the equivalent of "zip-off" legs (only substitute 4 small rectangles of Velcro – front, back, each side) for the zipper.

Sew the "soft" side of the Velcro pieces to the inside of the shorts' legs, and sew the "scratchy" side of the Velcro to the outside of the leg pieces you make.

That way, the "legs" fit under the bottom hem of the shorts, and the water is "flashed" down the legs.

Fabric? I'd do experimental leggings in Tyvek to try it out…

PostedNov 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

I bought some "light snow gaiters" from Mountain Laurel Designs. Seems to me they might do the trick if your shorts are long enough. I plan to wear them under a rain skirt which is long enough. I had considered making my own and might still do so because the MLD ones are a tad on the form-fitting side for my big old calves. I think the zip-off leg suggestion sounds pretty clever. I would not use the type of material Frogg Toggs are made of, however. I don't think it would last very long. That stuff is so easily torn/punctured.

PostedDec 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I just used some Tyvek legs. A bungee over the crotch of the shorts along with a cord up the side hanging over the waistband and they stay up pretty good. A little on the short side. The MLD gaiters would complete the system. Well vented…complicated.
Having convertibles done would keep it simpler and less bulky. Breathable fabric for the short with heavier fabric on the legs. Cuben Event and Gortex perhaps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...