Topic

Looking for a light weight lid

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Derek Weeks BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 8:12 am

I can't remember the company's name who sales cuben fiber light weight lids for cook pots…I'm looking for a light weight lid for my MLD pot…..Any know how sales them?

Thanks!

Derek

Derek Weeks BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 8:28 am

That's the name I was looking for…thanks so much for all the help!! :-)

Derek

Jeff Sims BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm

You can always order some Ti Foil from Ti Goat and make a lid. Do not let the word foil fool you, this is not aluminum foil, this is more like thin Ti sheeting. I made both a lid and an identical sized heat reflector for under my stove. they are over a year old now and have quite a few nights on them with no issues. Just make sure to punch a small hole in the lid, so that steam can escape, and you can hook it with either a small stick or similar to lift the lid off.

http://titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

YMMV
Jeff

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 1:47 pm

As I've mentioned before, it is pretty easy to purchase a carbon fiber sheet as a sample, then cut it into a round with scissors. To fashion a handle in the center, I used a dot of epoxy to fasten an inch of silicone string.

You want a sheet that is about as thick as a piece of very stiff paper. It will be only slightly flexible, but that is virtually unbreakable.

–B.G.–

Peter S BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Anybody knows if there's any health issues to consider regarding the use of carbon sheet for a lid?

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Wash it off before the first use.

In practice, don't try to melt it and inhale the fumes.

Other than that, in normal use it is pretty impervious to food, water, or steam.

–B.G.–

Peter S BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Thanks Bob. I can handle that :-).

I would like to find some carbon sheet that's stiff enough to protect my Sidewinder cone during storage and transportation in the pot in my pack, but of course still be light enough to be worth the effort of making the lid myself.

Bob Gross BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Are you asking about a Sidewinder aluminum or Sidewinder titanium cone?

I would think that simply transporting it curled up inside the pot would be sufficient protection. I mean, isn't that the whole purpose about the Sidewinder dimensions?

Still, I think that you will find that most carbon fiber sheets tend toward being very stiff to being semi-flexible. Are you looking for something that is very flexible?

–B.G.–

Peter S BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I do and will continue to store the titanium sidewinder cone in my flat Evernew 600ML pot. I just want a lighter lid that's still stiff enough to protect the cone during transport. I would for an example not trust a kitchen aluminium lid for this.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Loading...