Topic

backpack drawstring closure, help please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear backpack drawstring closure, help please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I am working on making my own pack, referencing the g4 instructions when I have questions but basically trying to make a bag specifically tailored for how I will use it.
    I have made a couple prototypes with $1/yd walmart fabric, and I am definately glad that I did. They were great learning experiences.

I think I have everything worked out now, except for the drawstring closure for the top. I always need to draw in some, then manually move the bunched fabric away from the side the drawstrings emerge from the fabric before I can draw up the rest of the slack (actually it takes a couple pulls like this). Does anyone have experience with this?
    Will it get better with time? Should I just live with it?
    What about a roll type top with compression straps on either side like on the g5? This method seems like it would add some weight, and decrease usable space in the top of the pack. But it would also seem to solve my problem.

Any suggestions?
    p.s. I dont currently have access to a digital camera, but will try get some pictures up soon.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Sounds like the drawstring casing is too small or you are using
    to heavy a fabric.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Did you sew the waterproof side of the fabric inside the casing? Because that is often "sticky" the drawstring can get caught on the coating. You may want to add some silnylon to the surface to make it more slippery.

Why not try Bill Fornshell's method of a roll top? Go to this thread, scroll down until you see "AT1 pack(G6 inspired) 2.10oz". He explains his simple closure method that weighs next to nothing.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

.. Black Diamond Quantum 55, so even the big guys can't get that right sometime. Is the problem friction? Then try a slipperier cord material like 2mm climbing accessory cord.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Hah Brett! You still up, too? (Peter, sorry about the thread hijacking…(^J^)/" )

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Roll tops are great. Most of my packs go this route. One idea for the drawstring (and casing size might be an issue as was mentioned) would be to tack the the drawstring to the pack 180 degrees from the drawstring cord lock. That would definately aid in even closure.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

1. Thinner string

2. add some silicone (like AromorAll) to the inside of the fabric. Jus a few drops.

3. The silicone may make the cord-lock slip a little, use atiny cord-lock.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

the drawcord is 3/32" nylon
    the fabric is a DWR nylon ripstop, unknown weight. and there is no right or wrong side

and actually, it is closing easier now, maybe the fabric was too stiff initially. if it continues to get easier (and since silnylon, which i will be using on the final project, will probably close smoother anyway) i dont think this will be a problem at all.

bill's AT1 pack roll closure looks nice, i wonder how well it works when the collar needs to be expanded though. the shockcord system seems to be designed to work only when filled to standard capasity, not carrying anything in the collar (although i could be, and probably am wrong).

thanks for the help, i will hopefully post pictures soon.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

here are some photos of my test pack.
    i need to make a few modifications for the final product:
    1. the y strap across the top is WAY too long
    2. eliminate the d ring, and just use the ladderlock buckle to do both jobs
    3. possibly add a waist belt (only because i like the idea of having pockets there)
    4. maybe change to a roll top closure
    5. front, back, and bottom (or at least back and bottom) out of one seamless piece of fabric next time.
    frontsidecans

dimensions are aprox 5"x10"x22" plus an 8" collar making it 5x10x30
    no accurate scale, but this is just a prototype (although it should be very usable). total cost was around $1.50
    i loaded it up with about 20lbs of canned food and it seems pretty comfortable.
    the yellow fabric is a strech mesh which was $1/yd at walmart, and it seems to work well for the pockets.
    i decided not to have a large front pocket because i never use them on packs i already own. but since an entire ultralight tent/tarp (my next project) will fit inside this pocket i may want to add one.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

That looks great! Your corrective mods seem right on the money. Personally, on these UL packs, I prefer a sternum strap to a waist belt to stabilize loads, but that is an individual choice. A lot would depend on how much weight you think you might be putting in it. What's the volume of the pack, you think?

Never mind on the volume.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools