Topic

Shiny new thing: MB Ultra Light Shell Jacket

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Ian Schumann BPL Member
PostedNov 18, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Just curious if anyone else saw this recently:
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=3011&p_id=2306103

This is a "hard" windshirt evidently bonded to an ultralight mesh (or poly something) interior lining. Altogether weighs <5oz, which is the lightest two-layer anything that I've seen remotely like this.

I'm curious about it because it brings to mind the venerable Marmot DriClime, or perhaps more usefully the Rab Vapour-rise and such. In short, this reminds me of the much-lauded pertex+pile concept, only shrunk down to a fantastic light weight.

I don't have any experience with pertex+pile, because I live in Texas, and that Rab stuff is too heavy and spendy for my uses anyway. But, I'm curious if anyone has seen this, tried it even, or has any hypotheses about how it might perform. Maybe this could manage a "summer weight" effect similar to the pertex+pile miraculous moisture pumping miracle.

Thoughts anyone?

PostedNov 18, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I'm not certain, but it looks like the pit areas are just exposed mesh to maximize breathability in those areas. If you enlarge the pictures and look at the pits/sides, you can see the mesh as part of the exterior of the jacket.

PostedNov 18, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I agree with Rick…I would just get a Marmot Ether.

I use my Ether most of the year…it layers well if needed…also, it has a hood AND hand pockets.

-Mark in St. Louis

PostedNov 18, 2013 at 8:45 pm

My 2.5oz Montbell tachyon anorak has a waist cinch, and a nice adjustable hood.

I think a thin long sleeved baselayer (merino, hood, 6-9oz range) would be more versitale than this.

PostedNov 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I'll have to swing by the mb store and check it out. I've used a driclime or vapour rise on most winter outings over the last couple years, and paired with a light base, they're pretty unbeatable. Though I like rab's pertex equilebrium fabric for breathability, I find the vapour rise is a little hot for skinning even on cold days, so a lighter weight pertex pile like the MB is appealing. Though I think you could easily incorporate this into your summer backpacking, a light unlined hooded windshirt usually does the trick when I'm moving. Looks like it could be a good skiing or frigid running layer though.

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 12:11 am

I wish it had a hood though, looks interesting. It would be cool if it were lined with a merino wool mesh though…

Ian Schumann BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 5:36 am

Thx for the comments everybody! I'm probably not in the market for a layer like this anyhow, but was just curious for thoughts. I already have a Montane Mountain Star recently that I've liked so far, which seems in the same class as the Ether Driclime … though perhaps it is not a directional knit / two-layer like the Ether.

In any case, I surely don't need it. Things don't get cold enough here often enough to need a layer like this.

But, Serge if you can go check it out, let us know what you think!

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 9:37 am

"Though I like rab's pertex equilebrium fabric for breathability, I find the vapour rise is a little hot for skinning even on cold days, so a lighter weight pertex pile like the MB is appealing."

RAB now makes a lighter version of their vapour rise – both pants and top. I'll be using them this winter.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...