Topic

Those darn welded seams…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Matt Dirksen BPL Member
PostedNov 18, 2013 at 9:16 am

Hello friends,

I have a fairly well used ArcTeryx rain jacket with welded seams. It seems that the seams (pun intended) attaching the pit zips have all decided to fail at the same time. Given my experience with this, it makes me wonder if they still do this on any of their other garments.

Fortunately the rest of the jacket is in good shape and it is worth me re-attaching the zips.

So… I've been digging around a bit for a solution, but am not quite sure what adhesive might work the best on the inside of this jacket. I tried gorilla glue sometime ago with zero success. I believe the jacket might be Gore PacLite. Finally, I don't trust my sewing skills at this time.

I got the jacket second hand so it's not worth dealing with their warranty dept., not to mention I'd prefer a solution I can perform if this trend continues.

Thanks much,

Matt

James holden BPL Member
PostedNov 18, 2013 at 10:47 am

its a common issue with dead birds … i personally know several people who have had this issue ..,

generally dead bird will take care of it warranty wise, but it can take some time unless you live in vancouver and just walk into their warranty service building

heres some people with the same issue

https://twitter.com/ETWerner/status/198055776596656129

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=73770&startat=22

thats the downside of welded seams … sometimes they just go POOF …

send it back to dead bird and see what they do … their fans here claim they have "great lifetime warranty service" … test it out

i know what OR, EB, LL bean, Lands End, MEC would do …

;)

Matt Dirksen BPL Member
PostedNov 18, 2013 at 11:17 am

Thanks Eric,

I was pm'ed with the same advice so I've already sent them an email inquiry. Let's just see how long they get back to me.

I had very good luck w/ Marmot back in the 90's, dealing with a ten year old delaminating goretex jacket (they mailed me a brand new jacket), so I guess I could do the same thing here. I just wonder if I ultimately have the patience for it, not to mention my concern about welded seams. Dysfunction of design deserves additional scrutiny over a dysfunction of workmanship.

Matt

PostedNov 18, 2013 at 11:37 am

There's no mention on their website that the warranty doesn't apply to 2nd hand. So just try it. You never know.
Just, be ready for a long waiting period and when you ship, be sure to have a tracking number and proof of arrival. And, of course, make sure to get a return authorisation number first.

Small detail: dead bird doesn't use welding (which involves melting of the fabric edges) but lamination (which involves gluing things together).

David Chenault BPL Member
PostedNov 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm

A tiny bit of seam grip, dried for 10 minutes and then firmly clamped, will get the job done. I've delammed such seams sitting too close to the fire.

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedNov 18, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I just sent in my deadbird gamma mx this weekend. One of the last made in canada with polartec that I wore to death (city life, not backcountry). The hem was welded onto the polartec fleece backing and eventually blew up. Oddly it looked more like the fabric failed rather than the seam.

On point, I'll let you know what the RMA time looks like and if/what they charge for the service. Their RMA process was quick and simple though to get a number. They did warn me they had a long wait at the time (back in Spring, I took my sweet time actually mailing it in though…). Hopefully their backlog of winter repairs is gone now and I fixes are fast, but I'm not expecting that. I'll try to update as the process goes forth.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...