Topic

30″ Neoair DREAM sleeping pad. Best pad for Big n Tall?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 17, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I'm thinking of buying the Neoair Dream. It comes apart into three sections. 1Cover 2Memory pad and 30" Neoair Trekker pad. Take out the Neoair to use it. It weighs over 2 pounds, but 30" for a Big and Tall guy is heaven. I have used a 25" Neoair and love how it conforms to my back with its' support. No, not ultralight by any means. But a goodnights rest my be worth the extra 10oz. Is there any other lighter 30" pad as good as an Neoair?
AmmonNeoair Dream

Ross L BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Stephenson's Warmlite makes a 28" x 80" down air mat that weighs 26 ounces, albeit coffin shaped rather than rectangular like the Trekker.

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thanks for the look at the Warmlite mat. I like the weight but not the vertical baffles. I own a two exped 26" wide down mats and find myself waking up in the middle of the night. I used the 25" NeoAir , but would rather use a wider 30". The horizontal baffles form to my body and I don't fell my Kidneys in the morning.

PostedNov 19, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I have a 30 inch wide NeoAir dream. I use it with the cover for car camping. It's crazy comfortable.

Can take the NeoAir inflatable out and use it separately for backpacking (warm weather, probably not terrific cold weather insulation). Packs up pretty small — either 15 x 4 inches or 10 x 6 inches.

Only downside is that the XXL size takes a while to blow up.

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

Thanks W collings,

Does anyone have the weight of just the mat inside the Dream mat; just the Neoair weight?

I tried the Virtical baffles and found a lack of suppor for my lower back. So I let air out and my shoulders felt strained.
Our spin has horizontal discs and the horizontal baffles of the NeoAir fit best to the conture of the back. Neoair, far as I know are made in the USA. I can't find anyone else with horizontal baffles that make a size 30" and I don't want to buy China. So the Neoair 30" mat is over 2 pounds; I plan on countering the weight by buying an EE Enigma. Enlightened Equipment know sells a 10oz Enigma quilt. That will allow me to go out with about the same pack weight as my EE Revaltion LW with a Exped UL LW mat.

Someone please make a 30" horizontal baffle mat that is under 32oz

PostedNov 20, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I had the same difficulties, horizontal baffles did not support my back well enough and I will always wonder why our favorite UL pad companies don't catch on to the need for 25-30 inch wide pads….I settled for the thermarest neo air trekker which is 25 inches wide, 47 inches long 16oz that works for me since I like to use my backpack under my legs. A neoair xlite short at 25-30 inches wide under a pound would be perfect!

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Steve,
How could I have missed that, oh cascade designs website was down last week. Thank you for showing me that and cheaper is even better. I'm hoping more people jump on the 30" wagon , so they will make lighter versions of them. Now I'm just waiting for Black Friday to get the best deal!
Ammon

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Desert dweller,
Sounds like this Neoair Camper is the start to better hiking experience. The X-lite 30" will be the best news , now Cascade Design make it happen. Until then the Camper at 2 lbs 4oz will have to be worth it's weight.
Ammon

Diane Pinkers BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I don't know about the heavier materials, but I bought a used 25" wide Neoair, and cut it as short as I wanted it. Has been fantastic for sleeping on, I'm much more comfortable and don't feel "perched" on the mat and ready to roll off anymore. Easily sealed with an iron.

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 7:28 pm

If I find some cheap ones at an REI garage sale I will try out that Iron idea. A custom mat could be nice.
Ammon

Marc Kokosky BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:17 pm

I just ordered a gossamer Gear AirBeam XL. they are currently on sale. Mine was around $89

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/air-beam-sleepers.html

It starts at 28" at the top, tapering to 19" at the legs and is 56" long. It also tapers from 2.5" at the top for comfort down to 1.5" at the legs so that there isn't an immediate dropoff to your lower legs. Its uninsulated, which is to say it likely is as warm/not warm as the NeoAir you're looking at. It comes in at 13.89 oz.

I ordered one and it arrived to my office today so I'll be checking it out tomorrow. But I wear a 56-58" tall jacket so you'll be hard pressed to find anyone with broader shoulders and more in need of a wide pad than I.

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 20, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Marc,
That is a nice light XL. Way lighter than the Neoair. Well at that price I can get the Neoair Camper and the Airbeam for the same price as the Neoair Dream. It is a good thing I asked the Forum for help before the Black Friday deals.
Ammon

PostedNov 20, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that the inner NeoAir pad in the Dream is the NeoAir Camper. It doesn't say camper on it, but it's the same color and appears to be identical. My inner pad, with no stuff sack, weighs 37.7 ounces.

If you do any car camping or think you've ever use it as a bed for extra guests at home, the Dream version is well worth it. It's way comfortable and it protects the NeoAir pad really well.

You still have the inner pad for backpacking.

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 6:16 am

HWC1954,
I called Cascade Design yesterday and they said that the inner Neoair mat is "closes to a camper". So you are correct!!! They said that the inner one in the Dream is like a camper with just a little more insulation in it. That would make it weight a little more than the single version camper

Single version 30"x77" 36oz
Dream inner version 30"x77" 37.7oz

They told me they did not have the weight for the inner mat.
Only that is was just a little more weight do to the higher R value.

Now we know.
Thank you for your time.

Mike Oxford BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm

At 6'6" 230 I've been very (very) happy with the Exped Long/Wide variants.

SynMat 7 UL L/W is 26" wide and 21 oz, R-value of 3.1
DownMat 9 UL L/W is a full 44 oz, but R-value of 8.

That extra 2" on each side is tempting though…

Ammon Bruce BPL Member
PostedNov 21, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Mike,
I'm not sure way my shoulders hurt when I sleep on the Exped mats. I camp with the Exped Mega mat and sleep just great. Maybe it is the 30" that makes the difference. All I do know is I want the best night sleep possible for the weight.

Marc Kokosky BPL Member
PostedNov 25, 2013 at 8:33 am

I got in my AirBeam XL on Friday and blew it up to show a pic of it.

You can clearly see the taper. It's not the pic. Enjoy.

GG Air Beam

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Loading...