Topic

Winter tour clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Winter tour clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

I am setting out for a month long east coast tour in January. I expect a wild variation of temperature and, since it is the east coast, I expect it to be occasionally wet.

I have experience touring in the cold ends of the shoulder seasons, but I have never been happy with my clothing mix.

I would love some opinions on ideal bike touring cold-weather clothing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Hands and feet. The feet, for me, are the hardest. I can never really keep them warm unless I'm wearing heated socks. And they don't last a long time.

But hands, if I was touring in January, I'd buy some pogies or moosemitts. I'd probably also have some chemical warmers as backup.

I think for clothes – same as if you were backpacking – layer as appropriate. Some rain pants and jacket without a doubt, good base layers, and a breathable mid layer. I've ridden plenty in the winter, but only 2-4 hour day rides, never toured in winter.

If you're going to be in the DC area at all, let me know and I'll PM you my phone number. If you need a night in a house instead of a tent you can crash here, dry your stuff, take a shower, etc.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Hey thanks for the offer Doug. Right now I am planning on coming down through Delaware and crossing at the the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel (you can pay to get taxied across in a pick-up), but if plans change and I route inland I'll definitely give you a shout.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools