Topic

Sewing Netting to Silnylon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Sewing Netting to Silnylon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

I am about to sew a bug bivy with a silnylon floor and a noseeum netting top. However, I have had problems in the past with the netting stretching as I sew the long seams of netting to the floor. Any tips?

Dan

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I have had problems in the past with the netting stretching as I sew the long seams of netting to the floor. Any tips?

Fold the edge of the silnylon over the edge of the netting in a 1/2" hem and use many pins.

Daniel Benthal

@dbthal

Locale: Mid-Coast Maine

Thanks Jim. Seems straightforward enough.

Brett Tucker

@blister-free

Locale: Puertecito ruins

Dan – the netting stretch tends to accumulate when sewing longer seams. Check your netting's weave to see if one direction stretches less than the other. Cut the netting piece so that this direction is parallel to the direction of the long seam. Some stretch may still accumulate, such that you reach the end of the seam and there is leftover netting. If you can leave the "foot end seam" – perpendicular to the long seams – for last, then you can simply trim the excess netting before sewing the final seam.

I find the above approach normally eliminates the need for pins. A simple felled seam is a good idea with netting – the first stitch with a 1/2" allowance, and the second stitch to sew the allowance flat to the body of the project. The sil-nylon edges may fray a bit, but usually it's not a big deal. Otherwise, there's the flat-felled seam, which is a little more tedious, as you may know.

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

You can also use glue stick. Just use the glue stick like you would pins. A small dab every few inches. I press and smooth it out with my finger. It will dry in just a few minutes. After stitching the glue stick can be washed off with water.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools