Topic

Duomid vs. Shangri-La 3 — Thoughts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Duomid vs. Shangri-La 3 — Thoughts?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

As my shelter questions and criteria continue to evolve, I am considering replacing my Duomid with a Shangri-La 3. But, before I do anything drastic, I'd really like to hear some others' thoughts.

First off, here are my current conditions. I live in Northwest Montana, on the wet side of the divide where we have wet, cold weather for most of the fall and spring, and even the first month of summer (June is our wettest month on average). This season, I started using a silnylon Duomid for solo use and a StratoSpire 2 for two people (my wife and hiking buddy love the space and aren't ready to go floorless). I also have a nice tarp for high summer when there isn't much to worry about long-term.

So, this is my complaint with the Duomid. The size is great for one, especially when things are wet and care needs to be taken. However, the center pole really interrupts its usable space, meaning that I have to take care not to brush the wet/frosty walls when getting in and out of my bag. This isn't a major problem, and I plan on doing some yoga with my wife to improve my flexibility and overall health. But it has been a continued annoyance. One solution would be to go to an inverted-V set-up, and I'm seriously considering that.

I'd also prefer not to rely too much on the SS2 for the shoulder seasons, as serious snow is always a possibility, and I prefer a more traditional 'mid, all things considered–snow and wind shedding being advantages.

When I realized that the fly for the SL3 is only listed as one ounce heavier than my seam-sealed Duomid, it became a much more attractive option (I doubt I'd use the inner, and if so, I might make my own). That doesn't include guylines, but I would imagine that wouldn't add more than an ounce in most situations–a bit more if I wanted to secure the mid-panel guys.

So, here are the trade-offs as I currently see them:

MLD Duomid
    Slightly lower weight (~ 2 oz.)
    Slightly to somewhat higher quality materials & workmanship
    Smaller footprint
    Less space to avoid condensation/frost
    Poorer wind shedding
    Tight fit for two (I've done it a few times)

GoLite Shangri-La 3
    Slightly higher weight (~ 2 oz.)
    Slightly to somewhat lower quality materials & workmanship
    Larger footprint
    More space to avoid condensation/frost
    Better wind shedding
    Usable as a two-person shelter in shoulder season
    Eventually compatible with a wood stove? (not sure I'd want to go that route or not)
    Two-way zipper for extra ventilation/protected cooking options

I consider the two to be pretty equal for me on ease of set-up. I can put the SS2 up very fast, and it would be more complex than the SL3 with a similar footprint.

So, what do you all think? Any thoughts on going to the inverted-V with the Duomid or switching to an SL3 as a shelter choice?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

See this thread below:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84136&skip_to_post=717987#717987

If you use GG LT4s, these extenders are a natural – makes it easy to do a two pole set-up, no pole in the middle, TONS of room! I've done this myself, and it's incredibly luxurious for one! The above thread talks about a way to use the extenders on other poles, which I have not tried, but sounds reasonable to me.

Gossamer Gear doesn't always have the extenders available, but a clever person could probably make his/her own from available materials.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

I have a Hex 3 that you are welcome to borrow. No nest or floor unfortunately but it might give you some insight. I am not trying to sell it, just trying to be helpful. PM me if you are interested. We appear to be near-neighbors.
    John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools