Topic

Brooks-Range Alpini Fill Weight

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 11:39 am

I posted this reponse in Gear Deals, however I think it more appropriately falls here. I will edit my gear deals post accordingly.

I found inconsistencies between the listed fill weights for the Brooks-Range Alpini jacket, anywhere from 4 to 7.7 ounces depending on the source. The 2010 BPL state of the market listed the fill weight at 5.2 ounces. I asked the company, here is the answer I received:

My email: Howdy! I recently picked up a 2013 Alpini jacket on close out at REI outlet. I cant wait to get it! I have been a little confused. I have read in multiple places that the fill weight was anywhere from 4 to 7.7 ounces of down. Has the fill weight changed over the years? Thank you.

Brooks-Range response: Thanks for your note. The fill has not changed over the year. The only update is the new 2013 jackets will be using the DownTec treated down.Our medium size uses 7oz of down. The hoodie uses 7.7oz of down. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thought this might help if anyone had the same question. Not sure then why the fill weight on BPL's 2010 state of the market was around 5oz?

Evan

Adam Kramer BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 11:44 am

this has always seemed weird to me. why does bpl hate the alpini so much? lol

PostedNov 15, 2013 at 11:48 am

I too was confused. Not sure- if the 2010 State of the Market's Alpini indeed had 7 ounces of down, the findings on its warmth would remain the same however many of its quantitative ratings would go up (down to weight ratio, etc) which I believe would make the Alpini an objectively more attractive jacket. However, at the same time, if the 2010 Alpini tested did have only 5 ounces of down, then perhaps the newer Alpinis with 7 ounces would be even warmer than was found in 2010, and thus more competitive than many of the other jackets tested?

Evan

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Don't trust Brooks. Remember the mojave debacle? They fill weight listed was about twice what could realistically be made in a jacket of the measured weights or warmth perceptions. Brooks never acknowledged an error in their specs or production, they just silently corrected the spec a few months after the introduction. It was a let down for quite a few people (IIRC it was the first hydrophobic down jacket they made). Looking it up, it states a 16oz weight with 9oz of down on outdoor gear lab (seems what I remember) and their site now states only 6oz of down. Even at 6oz many people who own a lot of down gear (Stephen M I think was one of the first to purchase on BPL) thought that 6oz of 800fp seemed generous given the loft of the mojave in side by side comparisons with other sweater weight jackets.

The best we could come up with was they used a medium for total weight and XL for fill weight. May be the same issue going on with alpinis. 7oz vs 5oz is on par with the 50% overspec of the mojave.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...