Topic

WindRider and Bearikade Scout

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WindRider and Bearikade Scout

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

Does anyone have experience using the Bearikade Scout inside the HMG WindRider 2400? I want to purchase the scout for a possible JMT trip. The description on their website says can hold food for 2 adults for 2-3 days, which I interpret to mean food for 4-6 days for a solo hiker.

The Bearikade is 8 inches long, the WindRider is 10 inches wide. It fits horizontally in theory. Anyone use this combo?

Thanks for any input!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don't, sorry. But I think it'd be pretty easy to 'build' a Weekender out of thin cardboard so you could see exactly how it would fit. FWIW.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

That's a pretty great idea!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have done 8 day solo trips with the Scout.

b

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

….In a windrider? :)

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I really don't even know what a WindRider is… sounds like it might be a pack?

But what's the difference? What pack it is in has nothing to do with how many days of food it will hold.

Bill D.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I think what he's saying is that he thinks the Scout can hold enough food between re-supplies so he's interested in getting that one, but before pulling the trigger he wants to make sure it will fit in his pack.

I can't answer directly, but I do have a BV450 which is almost the exact same size, and I've gotten it into a GG Gorilla no problems, and that is smaller than the Windrider. I've seen the Windrider, the Scout should fit just with room to spare. Testing is always a good idea, you could build from cardboard or just go to REI and buy a BV450, see if it fits, and then return it.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not sure how helpful this will be, but I have a Windrider 3400 (which I think is simply longer than the 2400, not bigger), and a Weekender. It seems like it would fit lengthwise horizontally, but that the diameter of the bear can won't fit down into the pack horizontally. The Bearikades are all the same diameter (9"), just taller as you get bigger. My bottom panel on my 3400 is only a tad over 7" in depth.

So my strong suspicion is that it will not fit horizontally, or if it did it would be very, very tight, but will easily fit vertically.

Again, FWIW.

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Thanks for the insight, Doug. I'll make the cardboard thing and try it out.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

lay pack flat and measure width, multiply x 2. This is your pack circumference, or perimeter.

The scout is 9" dia x 8" Long . Its max perimeter around centerline is 9+9+8+8=34"

As long as your pack is about 17.5-18" wide laid flat, you should be able to get the cannister in sideways. The website lists the windrider circumference as 33" at the bottom, and 37" at the top.

Sounds like it will fit in the upper part .

Adam M
    BPL Member

@adammessinger

A bit late to the party I know, but I can confirm that a Bearikade Scout will fit horizontally in a HMG Junction 3400, but only in the top “extention” portion. Still plenty of space to close the top easily. No problem carrying it.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

My Scout easily fits horizontally in a Mariposa–which must be a much larger pack. I have room to stuff socks and shirts on either side. It’s a really small bear can! I can get four freeze dried dinners and four breakfasts and lunches in one, if I carry the first dinner. with furious repackaging I might  squeeze out another dinner.

One reason I love this can is because of its packability. I have a weekender too and the Scout is much easier to pack.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

the pack at the top is 37.5″ in circumference.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

I used a Bearikade Scout in a Windrider 3400 for my last JMT thru hike. It does not fit horizontally in the pack. I placed it vertically within the pack. I did not try packing it horizontally in the extension portion of the pack bag per Adam M’s post. I assume he means packing it in the extension above the shoulder strap attachment level.

Mark

Adam M
    BPL Member

@adammessinger

Yep. Exactly that. On my pack the midline of the Scout canister is just a little above the shoulder strap attachment when I put it in horizontally. The lower half of the canister is in the main part of the pack and the upper half in the extension. It’s kind of high, but works ok for me, though I wish I had a better solution!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Adam, you could empty out food from the canister and stuff in clothes to make it lighter, then re-pack the canister in camp. Less weight up top. I hate having heavy items high up–creates balance issues and sway.

Adam M
    BPL Member

@adammessinger

Yea that’s a good suggestion! Somewhat strangely I often just carry it empty! I rarely need all of the space in a 3400 ci pack anyway, so this works for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools