Topic

SAR shirt

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Dan Magdoff BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Hey everyone

I know this isnt really the right place to be asking this, but you are all so knowledgable, I knew I could get a good answer here.

I am looking for a shirt for my SAR uniform and having some trouble finding what I am looking for. I need a red, long sleeved button up shirt trail. I was looking for something like the Mountain Hardware Canyon shirt, but cant seem to find anything in red. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Dan

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 12:12 am

Thanks for being there. I hope we don't need to meet— professionally speaking :) What are the other SAR's wearing?

Columbia Bonehead:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-Bonehead-Sleeve-Shirt/dp/B001LUGKCA/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-Bonehead%E2%84%A2-Long-Sleeve-Shirt/FM7120,default,pd.html

Columbia Silver Ridge, red color = "rocket". The "cinnabar color is on the orang side. I do like the Silver Ridge fabric.

I would search more to get a better price, but this is one:
http://www.backcountry.com/columbia-silver-ridge-long-sleeve-shirt-mens?CMP_SKU=COL3599&MER=0406&skid=COL3599-ROC-XXL&CMP_ID=SH_SHP001&mv_pc=r110&003=7163546&010=COL3599-ROC-XXL&mr:referralID=2b05c7ea-4dcd-11e3-9f1f-001b2166becc

Dan Magdoff BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 12:35 am

Ya, those were the ones I were looking at too, I was leaning more towards the Sliver Ridge, rather than the Bonehead. Most of the other SAR people are old retired folks (at least around here), and arent so much into the gear, so they have funkly old flannel red shirts and stuff, or more casual dress red shirts rather than outdoor hiking shirts.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 12:52 am

Too bad they won't allow tees/baselayers– the possibilities are endless. Show up in a tee with the button down in your car??? A red windshirt would be good too.

PostedNov 15, 2013 at 2:05 am

your SAR unit has mandatory uniforms but doesn't provide them? That's interesting for a volunteer angency. When I was in SAR it was just "show up in anything but denim".

If you had the cash, I'd grab a Filson. Otherwise LL Bean has some good options.

Dan Magdoff BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 4:25 am

Ya, they dont require the uniform, but "strongly reccoemend it". I looked at LL Bean and didnt see much.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 8:31 am

My go-to, sort of official-looking shirt is a Sportif nylon long-sleeve shirt with some nice big chest pockets. A slightly different style than this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPORTIF-Outdoor-100-Nylon-Button-Front-Shirt-Blue-XL-Fly-Fishing-Hiking-VTG-/301011533982?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item4615af809e

Or from another maker:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/wolverine-scout-shirt-upf-30-nylon-ripstop-long-sleeve-for-men~p~5367a/?filterString=s~nylon-shirt%2F&colorFamily=01

I don't see it on-line in red, but I like the nylon because of it's quick-drying. The fabric doesn't feel slick or clammy.

I had a long-sleeve, button-up, collared shirt in khaki that looked kind of a like a forest ranger's uniform. People tended to look twice and maybe follow the rules a little more when I came by in that.

Steven Paris BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 9:27 am

Dan,

If you are interested in the Columbia shirt that Dale mentions, send me a PM with a way to contact you. I live near Columbia's employee HQ and might be able to help you.

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

"I had a long-sleeve, button-up, collared shirt in khaki that looked kind of a like a forest ranger's uniform. People tended to look twice and maybe follow the rules a little more when I came by in that."

I've asked people if they knew cutting switchbacks causes soil erosion and they thought I was a ranger. There were young men and women in a group. The women were embarrased the men were doing it. The men were showing off for the women : )

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm

The only problem about an orange shirt, is if it starts raining, I put on a jacket which covers it up. I guess I could have an orange shirt and an orange jacket.

Mostly I don't worry about orange. Hunters are out on only about one trip per year. I got an orange fishnet safety vest from local safety store. 2.5 ounces. maybe $5. And hunters are actually usually fairly responsible so I don't worry about it too much.

David Thomas BPL Member
PostedNov 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm

I point out that acting like a dick around women often precludes using a dick around women.

PostedNov 15, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Red actually isn't that great a color for SAR; blaze orange is much better,especially in subdued light conditions. Here is something I would recommend – from Duluth
Trading.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-shirts/81006.aspx

I have one in my closet right now, and it is pretty bright

One important detail is flapped, secure pockets. You don't want stuff falling out, especially when leaning over a victim.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...