Topic

Locus Gear CP3 Poles, Jotaro’s emails…

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I have been thinking of ordering some CP3 poles but was put off by some reports on BPL of a rattle sound the poles make. So I decided to ask Locus Gear about it. I emailed them from the contact information at their web site and here are Jotaro's responses:

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your inquiry,

The sound you call the rattle is not flaw so you can not do anything with it.
As the pole has the outer lock system and the shaft tube is made of carbon fiber. So the resonance inside the tube space with touching the top of the lowers shaft in the state of combing will naturally happen if you hit something hard with the pole, which was the way we were once reported by one customer.
However,we think it is not a natural way to hit the pole to the desk ,then claim that the pole is rattling.

Hope you could understand it.

Best regards,

Jotaro Yoshida &Locus Gear Team
Director
Locus Gear/Magic Wand, Inc.

Jotaro,
I hike in the high mountains above tree line. Almost every time I put my poles down they will hit hard ground or rocks. I really would not want to have that ‘rattle’ sound.

It has been written on Backpackinglight.com that the previous version of your poles did not rattle. They say that the new design CP3 poles changed and now they rattle. Too bad.

Bill D.

Hi Bill,

The more we should explain why the current version has the sound is because we changed the tip accessory for capping the tube from the left one to the right one of the attached photo.
Because the right one is easier to make the shaft inserted into the upper shaft smoothly as well as a good combination with the new flip lock system of the CP3.
The left type is an open style so that the resonance less happens, but not be inserted smoothly if you insert the shaft.

[was not able to upload image]

Hope you could understand it.

Best regards,

Jotaro Yoshida &Locus Gear Team
Director
Locus Gear/Magic Wand, Inc.

PostedNov 14, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Bill,
Bought one and tore it down to add an extension sleeve to the grip. If I find a cure for the rattle (when it arrives), will post.

rmeurant BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I have been independently thinking this might be a case of resonance, after hiking two days ago, and noticing the sound when one pole inadvertently glanced off a rock, or the other pole. I hadn't noticed it before, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Presupposing it is resonance of the entire three piece pole, which some people are describing as a rattle, there may be something you can do about it:

If the problem is resonance occurring between the three effective pole section lengths, try shortening the 2nd (or 3rd) section, while lengthening the 3rd (or 2nd) section, to maintain the same overall length of pole.

E.g. if you have a pole set on 120cm and 120 cm, try setting it 125cm and 115cm, or 130cm and 110cm etc. It might help. Obviously you can't change the length of the top section, but you can vary the length of the other two sections. (Leave the other pole at the original settings, to act as a control).

But I must say that if that is the sound some are worried about, it is barely noticeable; and also I would think it would happen with any CF poles.

Peter S BPL Member
PostedDec 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

I did some fiddling/testing to try to fix the problem. I found out, that 2 things independently minimizes the clicking/noise, and executed together kills the noise completely.

1 – Align the screws on the left side of the pole on both joints.

2 – Use 1 round of duct tape on the middle section (pull it out of the joint) just below the plastic head.

:-)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...