I've got a Bibler bivy made of the ToddTex fabric. It is very durable and repels weather nicely. But there is no side zipper. I'd like to add one if possible. Anyone know of a place in California? Thanks
Topic
Add a side zipper to a bivy
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
http://specialtyoutdoors.com/contact/
These folks added a zipper to my ID E-Vent bivy and did a very nice job. I'm looking for pics but can't seem to find them. Regardless, nice work.
A few points…
The zipper is about 45" long. I didn't really scientifically chose this length, there just happened to be a seam there on the bivy so it seemed sort of natural. I wouldn't go much shorter than that. To me, it's the minimum amount of space to get in and out easily – specifically in winter with all of the loft and layers. She could have done any length though, the zipper comes in a roll.
I've got zipper pulls at both ends and I really like that. It allows me to zip up, but then vent down low. Also, the zipper pulls are on the inside and outside. Same as a sleeping bag setup.
I was originally planning on the lightest weight water resistant zipper, but she talked me into the heavier duty one. Good call. Especially with gloved and partially numb hands. May have added a few grams, but it's nice not to have to worry about it.
I think that the quality of her work was very nice. Looking super close, some of the stitches were not 100% perfect, but I'm talking like 99.9% perfect. She even added some nice bits that I didn't expect, life the little flap over the end of the zipper at the bottom. Nice stuff. She communicated really well, even calling me at one point to make sure she was doing what I wanted. She wasn't fast (about a month turn around) but she even says on her website that she's not fast.
It ended up being about $100 after shipping and everything. More than I expected, but I feel like I got exactly what I wanted and now I have a custom piece that I really, really like.
***Edited to add more info***
Steve – Do you have the ID overbag that just has the draw-string closure?
Yes, it is the Integral Designs Overbag seen here:
http://sectionhiker.com/winter-bivy-selection-2/
This is the my discussion from when I was asking the group about how to add a zipper to my bag. Looks like I still owe that thread some pictures and a review. Oops :(
Steve – Thanks. I've always had that in teh back f my mind. Nice to see that others have already done it.
Become a member to post in the forums.

