Topic

‘Mountain Equipment’ brand — and R1 hoody++

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Ian Schumann BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 7:34 am

Hey all,
Over the years I haven't seen too much discussion about this humble brand called Mountain Equipment. It appears to be similar to Montane, at least simplistically — they strike me as a no-nonsense british brand, with straightforward pieces and (I might presume) sensical design choices. In fact, in that regard they might be more sensical and less market-y than Montane.

Anyway, it looks like Campsaver.com, one of my favorite outdoor vendors, carries a lot of their line.

In my current search for a midweight down jacket, I picked up the Arete jacket a few days ago when it was more steeply discounted:
http://www.campsaver.com/arete-jacket-men-s-1
Sure it's lower fill power, but as I understand it, European down fill numbers are on a different scale, no? I was impressed by the specs and thought the slightly less-precious nature of this piece might make a good all-purpose down piece, both for town and country. It should arrive today and I'll post comments once I get a look at it.

Meanwhile, today I stumbled upon this one:
http://www.campsaver.com/eclipse-hooded-zip-tee-men-s
… and wow that's cool! Check out that hood! That might be the most promising design for a 'clava-like hood that I've seen yet. I'm almost tempted to get it just to see what it's like to zip it up. But, I shouldn't … being in central Texas I have almost no use for such a piece.

But somebody should!

Stephen M BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

Mountain Equipment are huge in the Uk, there kit us very good, Peter Hutcinson who owns PHD started the company.

Ian Schumann BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 7:42 am

Nice! That's very cool. So I'm guessing Mountain Equip was his first project, and PHD his second.

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 8:50 am

It is nice, but jeebus these $150 fleeces are getting ridiculous! Sure you can frequently find them on sale for $80 range but it's still a dang fleece regardless of how fancy the waffling or supposed anti-stink.

I think it's time to ebay some fabric and hone my sewing skill lol.

Ian Schumann BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

Dustin,
You're right and upon closer inspection I'm sure not going to even consider buying at this price. However, we'll probably see some deep discounts in the next 6 weeks or so, being the time of year that it is.

I simply took a look at the piece and posted it just based on the features that I saw. It looked cool, you know? :-)
I didn't even bother looking at the price. I agree, it's jacked up pretty high.

Dustin Short BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 9:25 am

I'm just bitter I can't wantonly afford it. It's right up there with the Arc'Teryx Fortrez for cool factor. I tried one on at REI and the way the Fortrez balaclava snaps the hood into place was absolutely perfect. I was really impressed with the no faff functionality. Now if only I had $200 to spend on grid fleece with a buff tacked in….

There's always geartrade.com!

James holden BPL Member
PostedNov 14, 2013 at 11:10 am

the price of fleeces from "top brand" outdoor companies has always been ridiculous … 189$ for a R1 hoody list price in canada, even on sale on patguccis website its still 132$ CAN ….

there is absolutely and utterly no reason for it … MEC makes them with polartec powerdry and the same performance for 50-70$ list price … which, when they clear em out, often go down to 25-50$ depending on the particular piece T2/T3

fleece is one area where its marketing pure and simple … sure there may be some very minor incremental gain with this marginally "better" fabric or that special"feature" … but in the end i bet you wont be able to name any climb/hike/run/etc … that you cant do that you couldnt with something like a MEC (or other decent but much cheaper) version …

;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...