Topic

“Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “Faux-dini”: 2.3 oz. Windshirt, <$15 – Initial Review and Sourcing

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 422 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Thanks for posting this Casey. From what others have said, you’ll probably gain some sleeve length with the XXL over an XL. What’s your actual chest/sleeve measurement? Does your Large Houdini fit snug with only room for a baselayer or looser with some room for base + midlayer?

The model you ordered is the same one Mike V. ordered. He wrote: “I am a big fan of the original jacket posted but never cared for how short the sleeves were, other than that I felt it outperformed my pre 2012 Houdini. I recently came across a new offering on Ebay that looks very similar; it looks to be thin uncoated nylon. Also there are no pockets or mock collar and it appears to be in Men’s sizing instead of unisex. I pulled the trigger on a size XXL, I have an XXL in the original poster’s jacket. I will report back once I receive this and test it.**Update**I received this jacket in XXL, the sizing is near identical to the OP jacket, which sadly means the sleeves are a bit short. However the fabric is near identical and it is lighter than the OP jacket was in the same size. Size XXL weighs in at 3.0 oz on my scale.” He also shared by PM: “I wear same size [Large] in a real Houdini and have similar measurements. In the faux Houdini in the OP’s article I am very comfortable in the XXXL unisex size, the sleeves are a hair shorter than the regular Houdini by about 2” but any size smaller and it’s a nuisance.”

Note in the last sentence above it seems “XXXL” is a typo and Mike V. meant “XXL” as he mentioned “XXL” size in the OP jacket prior.

Besides the tuck-way hood and chest pocket on the OP model (which Marc-André ordered), another difference is that the OP/Marc-André model is $7 less expensive due to the lower $16.37 price and free shipping.

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

I just got 2 of the the jackets from Marc’s link.

I’m not sure why but I got $25 off for paying with Paypal using MSIP25L938ZX7TBM (code popped up under add to cart option) so only paid $8.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I just got one of these in the mail. Women’s XXL fits me well although the arms are almost short. I usually wear a L in normal clothing with a 42-44 chest, 5’6″ tall 160#.

I’m guessing it is more breathable than my Tachyon but I haven’t gotten around to comparing them directly.

The jacket has loose threads and the crappiest zipper I’ve ever seen.

In white it’s quite reminiscent of a tyvek bunny suit. Very X-Files. It will be quite the conversation starter on the trail.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

G’day, as I have used this series of posts and bought this shirt from Marc’s link I thought I should give something back and tell you what I now know after receiving this y’day.

First, compared to Arc. Squamish (which I own and love) The Faux. is noticeably more breathable- not double or anything but at a guess from my highly scientific blowing thru’ both over and over about 30 %.

I walked this morning pretty hard for about 8 kms in 100% humidity about 14C apparent temp. -merino Tshirt and very light Uniqlo Airism mesh top over that and fauxdini on top, I was not hot! On the way back it was clearly warmer maybe 16C but still 100% humidity (humidity is accurate from Meteorological website ,not a guess, we are in the middle of a storm cycle)

Second, it is also (feather light!) lighter than the Squamish- it weighs about 65 grams.

Third, lightly water repellent. Wore it this morning for about 8kms up and down some steepish tracks rained very lightly and misted for about an hour -I stayed dry. Wore in the coming storm last night 10 mins I stayed dry, but  when the rain picked up it went thru” on shoulders but dried very quick. Not quite as repellent as the Squamish.

Fourth, size. I bought the XXL it is basically the Large  Squamish. I am 1.79 metres tall and 84 kgs. 104 cms chest. I like the size. I think as it’s sold as a women’s item the arms might be slightly shorter however for me, it’s spot on.

I think this a genius item and I am buying a second one now I know my size. Windshirt excellence -ALSO this would be gold as a mid layer, weighing nothing and taking up seemingly no space in your rucksack (in it’s Napoleon pocket)

I am putting one in my Day sack and another one for my bigger rucksack.

I recently was stuck for 14kms in light rain when a full on wind and rainstorm hit.

Walking with my Squamish when it started pouring which it did for the next 2 hours I thought bugger it, I’ll just put my Marmot G tex over the top of the Squamish  and see what happens as it was pissing down!

Well–bone dry inside (it was about 14C but again 100% humidity). The Faux. would have also been excellent..Cold in the night? Pull it on, I reckon in the right conditions it would be perfect especially if it was all you had and it went much colder than you expected. Well that is my feedback done, thanks all for yours. I reckon this is a Bargain with a capital B!

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Graham thank you for the enthusiastic and detailed report. I ordered the very same one in the same size and have similar chest measurement and height and also typically wear a US Men’s L. Looking forward to trying it out even more now. How long did it take to get to you?

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

G’day Ethan, 12 days in total. Well before they estimated. I just contacted the seller as they put the price up and asked for the original price, no problem, so a blue one XXL to join the white one is on its way.

The see through aspect is quite pronounced, but shit, it’s such a bargain. Its almost worth buying a few in case they go out of production.

To add, I reckon you could could wear this as a sun shirt (if it is clearly UV blocking -is it worth getting sun burned to find out?) in warm weather.

Hey, while I’m at it, talking bargains, check out the Uniqlo womens (must be Airism MESH) Airism Mesh sport jacket I think they call it. It weighs nothing, Get ONE size up i.e. XL.  I am a L in UNIQLO Mens sometimes a M -breathes astonishingly well and that is definitely UV blocking! NO sunscreen required! Tried in NZ and AUS. many hours in the sun bushwalking NO SUNBURN!

And the Merino jumpers they sell are gold. As the weather gets colder, I only wear merino Tshirt and Jumper -NO SMELL!

Loved San Francisco, I was there in 1985 (youch) the weather was similar to here. I live on the very south eastern coast of mainland Aus. Take it easy boyo.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Casey I just received my XXL which is the same type as Valerie’s original and the same one you ordered [EDIT: I just realized the one you ordered, while translucent, is slightly different from the one Valerie and I ordered with the tuck-away hood and chest pocket: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152391459271 – interested to hear how your XXL will fit]. I’m 175 lbs 6 ft tall 42 in. chest about 33-34 in. dress shirt sleeve and like you wore a Houdini Large, and the XXL fits me very well except for one thing – as others have reported, the sleeves are a bit short for me. If I stand still, they come right down to my wrist, but as soon as I start hiking or running, they ride up about 1.5-2 in. I can deal with that for now. The zipper is pretty crappy – I’d say that’s the weakest point of the jacket. The jacket came with a strong chemical smell so hung it up outside to off-gas.

My wife’s 5 ft 6 in. 125 lbs and typically wears a US women’s size 8  or women’s Medium and the L fits her very well.

From what Tim C. has described and from the photos he kindly posted, the wind shirt he ordered probably has longer sleeves and I might try that one as well if I can find a current link that matches his model.

We wanted it primarily as a second beater wind shirt to use regularly for running which we wash more frequently, though for now it’s our only wind shirt.

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

For anyone interested I was looking to get another of the yellow dayglo jackets which I discussed a year or two back(I still have the blue and orange one but I refuse to wear that while I’m back in Georgia…). I came across a link that appears to be selling the exact same jacket which I had purchased before. Same exact branding and colors. Unfortunately for me they don’t have the dayglo yellow which I grew to like so much…. Anyways, here’s the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Cycling-Bicycle-Ultralight-Water-Resistant-Sun-Protection-Sport-Jacket-Coat-/231941462218?var=&hash=item3600c9d8ca:m:m1EVBTlM51J4UfMNkwIpdKA

Tim Czarkowski
    BPL Member

@buylow12

Locale: United States

Well I decided to take a stab at another jacket since I wasn’t able to get the yellow one I wanted in the model I purchased before. I decided on one of these in XXXL from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VE2AJB8/ref=cfb_at_prodpg

It came today and fits excellent on my 6’2″ 160lbs frame. My only complaint is MAYBE an extra half inch on the sleeves would have been nice. It seems even lighter and more breathable than the one I posted about previously. I don’t have a scale with me but I’d guess it’s about 3oz in XXXL compared with 4 oz(which I weighed years ago when I bought it) of my other jackets in XXL. It’s lighter because it only has one small chest pocket vs 2 large hand pockets and elastic on the hip and hood vs being adjustable. The chest pocket is smaller and so when it’s packed away it’s smaller. It does still have a stowable hood like my previous jacket. It’s also extremely see through(more so than my other jackets) and luckily the color is just as bright as it looks ;) The brand name “Ochenta” is right on the chest and proudly says “Made in China” right below it so as far as I know they’re not ripping off or imitating anyone else’s brand. I’ll post some pictures below. Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. I hate this forum software…

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

So how durable are these jackets?  I have a dri ducks rain jacket that has gotten pretty beat up in 6 months just in a bit of abrasion taking it in and out of tight spaces.  This looks similar, or maybe worse?

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Well I ended up purchasing this one from REI – https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/104655/cannondale-pack-me-jacket-mens?cm_mmc=email_tran-_-order_conf-_-20170528-_-bt_prod1&ev36=&RMID=OrderConfirm_PROD&RRID=582735&ev11=

While not as cheap as some I have seen on here, not bad for $21 with member coupon.  I was passing it along as a fyi, but when I go back to the link I see it is no longer available, maybe I got the last one?  Size L american, so no futzing with the funny Chinese sizes . . . .

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

@sbslider — How durable are these jackets?  My original one has about 700 trail miles on it.  I generally wear it every. single. day. when I’m thru-hiking:  I put it on over my hiking shirt right out of bed, pack up in it, start hiking, and take it off when I’ve warmed up enough (1-2 hours later).  Then, whenever I’m cold during the day (like for a pass, or a windy section), I put it on again.  So it gets worn a lot.

I rarely bushwhack in it, but I have accidentally encountered a few thorns/branches that could/should have ripped it — but, surprise! it never tore.  My husband often has trouble with the zipper on his (misaligning or slipping) but we’ve always been able to fix it on-the-spot so far, and he is extremely clumsy with ALL zippers, anyway.

I now own these jackets in multiple colours, sizes, and “brand names” — because I’m afraid that they’ll become unavailable at a certain point, and I wanted to assure myself a “lifetime supply”.  I also assumed that they’d wear out quickly, but my original one is still perfect, so now I’ve got a “collection”!

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Hi Valerie, thanks for the feedback.  Maybe I will pick up one like this as well and compare, good to know they last.  I would assume the DWR does not last, but the material does not tear at least.  Also, I have the same problem as your husband with zippers, all the more reason to have a backup I suppose.  ;-)

edward b
    BPL Member

@sreeb

After finding an ebay  XXL too small, I thought I would try an amazon one in XXXL.  Still kind of tight and the arms are short.  A real XL houdini fits me well.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Just an update should anyone read this, I had some NIK products left over and I ran the jacket through a Nikwash and then Nikwax as per the instructions. I reckon I doubled the water resistance-tested using R.Nisley’s advice-2 cups water poured into a hollowed out section of cloth and see if you can (or need to) squeeze to get 3 drops through. Easily held more water after Waterproofing (I did test it twice before NIKKING it) and required far greater force (about double) to get water through (once water breached the cloth it leaked through very slowly). Longevity unknown, but I am very happy for now and just bought a third jacket. Can wear the jacket and run water from the tap onto the sleeve with pressure fairly high and no water thru’. Superb. Every now and then a wispy bit of fibre will show and I just cut it off. Thanks to and credit to Valerie the original poster. Excellent product thus far.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

But does that impact the breathability?

Heber Miranda
    BPL Member

@heber_

Well, was just looking at possibly getting a Houdini but this is hard to pass up.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

I will check tonight after work. I have a new one untreated, and I will very scientifically blow through both with the cloth pressed to my mouth to check for resistance. I think I already did this but I will check tonight to confirm. My Squamish has all but no water repellancy left, NIKWAX did make a very slight improvement on that. They suggest Grangers but I thought what the hell, I’ll give it a crack. Cheers

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Breathability after Nik seems about the same, very good. I don’t have coffee filters to compare.

I walked pretty hard the other morn. About 6-7 kms per hour for 15 kms, in windy, coolish -apparent temp 6C, weather with only a woolen  Tshirt (but hood on in place of beanie which I forgot) underneath and was cold to start, but enough warmth retained to warm you up slowly, to the point that later in the morning at about 14C apparent temp all I had to do was undo the zip when the wind dropped-I did not have the remove the jacket. Top buy.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio
    Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Colorful Waterproof Rain Pants MTB Mountain Cycling Trousers Breathable Pants

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Colorful-Waterproof-Rain-Pants-MTB-Mountain-Cycling-Trousers-Breathable-Pants/222470238925?hash=item33cc4272cd:m:mmhCpr_oAp7dQd4ToPTJqgA

I bought these to sit around in if I got cold. Not breathable at all-but waterproof and very stretchy, weigh about 90 gms.

Go the grey colour, and yes they look like the pic- youch!

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

What about a pant version of this? Seems like it might be a nice option?

All I could find was this:

Oh, wow. Whoever designed the crotch area of those pants should find other work. Perhaps in comedy.

Jackson King
    BPL Member

@proton

Locale: Southeast

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123262575859

This ebay link is for a commonly available fauxdini brand on eBay and AliExpress. This on is $12.99 with free shipping from the US. I’m 6-0 and 210 lbs. 35.5 sleeve length. The 4xl fit just right for me. But I am shaped like a potato. Weight 4.2 oz.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Well, I couldn’t resist and bought a $12 hooded windshirt.  When it comes I will test for water resistance, air permeability and breathability and post the results.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Nice! I’m looking forward to seeing your results.

Viewing 25 posts - 351 through 375 (of 422 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools