Topic

2013 closeout Brooks Range Alpini for 87.73 NEW at REI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 2013 closeout Brooks Range Alpini for 87.73 NEW at REI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

Coupon code "SAVE25OFF" drops it to $87.73
    http://www.rei.com/product/862328/brooks-range-alpini-mountain-anorak-mens-2013-closeout?cm_mmc=cse_bec-_-datafeed-_-product-_-862328&mr:referralID=fb84505f-4c91-11e3-9104-001b2166c62d

they also have XL's of the hoody for $117 shipped.
    http://www.rei.com/product/862329/brooks-range-alpini-mountain-anorak-hoodie-mens-2013-closeout

they say 2013 closeout, so i'm wondering if it's the downtek or not…will keep you posted..

zorobabel frankenstein
    BPL Member

@zorobabel

Locale: SoCal

Too bad they don't have S left.

Nathan Meyerson
    BPL Member

@nathanmeyerson

Locale: Southwest

Most people are recommending sizing up for this one, so a medium may suit you if you normally wear a small.

Cheers.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Just purchased a Large- Thanks!

Also, do you happen to know why there is such a wide range of different fill weights listed between the Brook-Range site, the BPL state of the market report in 2010, and other sites? I have seen anywhere from 4 to 7oz listed.

Evan

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

In case it helps anyone, I am 5' 11" tall and weight 182 pounds. I initially bought the large hoody anorak, which fit ok but didn't allow for layering a fleece. It also would ride up if I raised my hands up over my head much. I ultimately switched to an XL, which is a size I almost never wear. While the arms are just a tad long for me on the XL, it has room for layering and overall doesn't feel "too big". I've only had it out on a trip once, but I love it so far.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Thanks Paul, that is helpful- I bought a Large but I usually wear a medium, so I hope it will fit! They were out of M, so maybe its my lucky day if you say we should size up….

Any idea about the fill weight?

Evan

Paul Andronico
    BPL Member

@jakesandwich

Locale: Lake Tahoe

No help on the fill weight, but I can tell you that the jacket is really puffy and warm. No scrimping on down. When wearing it you do look a lot like the Michelin Man. My wife saw me in it and immediately told me that she would never be seen out in public with me wearing the jacket :)

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Haha thats great! I love it. I am hoping that this can replace my Montbell Alpine Light. The 2010 state of the market report compared the two and said that the Alpini was not quite as warm, however their listed fill weight was about 5 ounces compared to the weight listed on the Brooks-Range site of 7.7 ounces. So I am thinking perhaps BR upped their fill weight and now this jacket will be warmer (albeit slightly heavier too).

Also interested to see if it is in fact the downtec, although I will be fine if it is not.

Cant wait to look like a cloud!
    Evan

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

To see a conversation about the Alpini fill weight, please see this thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=84138

thanks
    Evan

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

wish they made women's jackets :(

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I've had the hood version for over a year and have used it heavily. These jackets are killer! They're definitely well stuffed with down. I find mine to fit "normally". I wear and small/medium, own a medium in the Alpini and whouldn't size up.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I bought the hooded version about a month ago. Great jacket, very puffy, listed fill is at 7.7 oz. I really like the hood; very worth it. And I'm not usually a fan of hoods. This is a great bargain.

I sized up by accident from my normal medium to a large. By accident, in that they only had the large in a hooded version. As it turns out, the large is perfect for me. Room to layer, but I'm not swimming by any means; arm length is great. I'm 5'9' 140lbs.

Oh–so far, no leaking down, although the weather has been too warm to wear this much. Also, the pertex is very good at wind resistance.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Great to hear! Cant wait to get mine.

Evan

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

just got my jacket(s) today.

wow. this has got to be the warmest bang for the buck at 87 bucks. i put it side by side with my montbell alpine light and it is no comparison. much more fill in the alpini. my hooded montbell alpine light weighs 15.3 oz, the alpini (without hood) weighs 14.1 oz, but it looks to have at least 2 or 3 more oz of down fill.

as far as fit…and i did order a large and xl….i am 175/180 6'0 and will end up going with the large. the xl was way too long in the arms and was baggy in the shoulders. i can layer a r1 under the large and the neck zips up nice and tight. on me, it seem to fit close to the montbell alpine light large, but was about an inch shorter.

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

Funny, I got mine today too! I need to take some pics of it next to my alpine light….

Evan

Evan Chartier
    Spectator

@evanchartier

TAG in AZ
    BPL Member

@tagiam

Locale: PHX

I got mine yesterday. I'm a little more stout than some (5' 10" and about 220) and the XL fits me great. The arms are a little long, but not ridiculously so. I think the fit is most like the Montbell jackets I have. I normally wear a large from other manufacturers, but the XL in the Alpini is perfect for me. Great deal.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

Tried to order one today, no mediums left, and coupon has expired.

Velimir Kemec
    BPL Member

@velimirkemec

Was late grabing one RED in size Large. anyone with extra 25% off coupone or you bought one in size Large RED but find it too small for you?

With 25% off is crazy deal for the jacket!

Thanks

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools